BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Revit and layers

Anonymous
Not applicable
We use archicad but our consultants use Revit. When we ask for an IFC file that contains layers they say they can't do that. Is it possible to save an IFC file for other people to use with layers from Revit? OR do they not know how to use their product?

I would have asked Revit but I had to leave a message and they haven't called back... wait.... wait...wait.

Thanks,
Michele
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Revit itself doesn't use layers at all. When exporting to other formats there is a configuration file that determines which objects go to which layers.

When exporting to IFC (from Revit Structure 200) we use the exportlayers-IFC-IAI.txt settings file. The resulting IFC file has the IFC layer property set to S-COLS for columns, S_BEAM for beams etc.

Hope this helps
Anonymous
Not applicable
Someone else sent me the explanationbelow. We'll let our consultatns know what to do and see how it works. Thanks

Revit will map its catagories to IFC layers using a file called exportlayers-ifc-IAI.txt. This file can be found in C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2009\Data folder.

Your consultant can edit this file from within Revit by going to File>Import Export Settings>IFC Options>Export Options.

You can even help them develop this TXT file for your standards so that objects appear on the layer you'd like to see in IFC.

Thanks,
Michele
Learn and get certified!