BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Revit to ArchiCAD through IFC question

toman311
Enthusiast
I have an IFC file from a Revit user. I am trying to import this building file into ArchiCAD. I managed to get it into ArchiCAD, but everything is importing all on one Story. I don't see an option to break of the import into multiple Stories. This is a complete building and different elements are placed on different Stories. How would I go about importing the building IFC file into separate Stories?
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Are you using the Open command and select the IFC file?
Or are you using the Merge command to import the IFC file?
You could try having the ARCHICAD file with the Story structure you need and then use the Merge command.

You could also open the IFC file in a model viewer like Solibri Model Viewer and check the project data structure hierarchy to see whether multiple stories exist at all in the IFC file exported from Revit or not.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
toman311
Enthusiast
laszlonagy wrote:
Are you using the Open command and select the IFC file?
Or are you using the Merge command to import the IFC file?
You could try having the ARCHICAD file with the Story structure you need and then use the Merge command.

You could also open the IFC file in a model viewer like Solibri Model Viewer and check the project data structure hierarchy to see whether multiple stories exist at all in the IFC file exported from Revit or not.
I use the File Special>Merge tool because I want to have the building in my template. ArchiCAD seems to recognize that there is more than one story, but ArchiCAD doesn't seem to be able to give me the option to place the Revit stories on ArchiCAD stories.

I attached a few screenshots which shows where ArchiCAD recognizes that there is more than one story and how ArchiCAD wants to consolidate everything onto one layer.

It doesn't appear there is any way around this, but I wanted to ask to be sure.
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you are willing to show me the IFC file I can take a look at it. You could put it on Dropbox is a similar service from which I can download it.
If so, please PM me with the details.
I would be curious how the story structure is shown in Solibri and if there is anything that can be done in ARCHICAD.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
davidstonearchicad21
Contributor
Hi Laszlo, we're experiencing the same issues with stories. Elements have a distance above project zero but have been automatically assigned the wrong home story. For example, beams of the roof framing on the 5th floor have been assigned the ground as the home story despite being 16354mm above project zero.

Did you manage to resolve this with toman311?

Would you take a look at our IFC data?
AC24

2 x Xeon E5-2667 v2 (16c/32t @ 3.3-4.0 GHz)

64Gb RAM(ECC) Quad channel 1333Ghz (next upgrade 1866Ghz)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb

500Gb 840PRO SSD, 3 TB HDD (next upgrade PCIe NVMe SSD)
Learn and get certified!