BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Rhino - Archicad import

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have Archicad 17 but really need to import Rhino objects...is this possible?

If I download a trial version of archicad 20/21 can I use the Rhino plug in and then down save for my Archicad 17 use?

Can an archicad 21 file be downsaved to archicad 17?
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly
Marisa wrote:
Can an archicad 21 file be downsaved to archicad 17?
Yes but you have to save from 21 to 20.
Open in 20 save to 19.
Open in 19 save to 18.
Open in 18 save to 17.

You can only back-save one version at a time - so you will need all versions installed.

You will of course lose any of the functionality/features of 20.
Not sure if this will affect what is imported from Rhino as I don't use it - but I think I should be OK.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
runxel
Legend
Barry wrote:
Not sure if this will affect what is imported from Rhino as I don't use it - but I think I should be OK.
The imported Rhino stuff is converted to objects, but they will have obviously alot of Nurbs geometry (introduced in GDL in v20). Pretty sure they will not survive, so I would convert them all to morphs to be sure.
Otherwise there will be some unwanted surprises when saving down.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Barry Kelly
Yes if they are created with any NURB geometry then they will need to be converted to a morph to back-save successfully.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Think you can convert from Rhino to 3D DWG, which can be converted to objects by ArchiCAD to stop the backsaving. You will lose the NURBS anyway in ArchiCAD17.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I imported a rhino file to archicad, it opens but I cannot do anything with it. Like putting doors or Windows. Any help ?
runxel
Legend
rodrigodoprado88 wrote:
I imported a rhino file to archicad, it opens but I cannot do anything with it. Like putting doors or Windows. Any help ?
What do you expect to happen? You just imported "dumb" geometry, that is unaware of being a smart building component. Openings can only be put in walls, not random goo.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the reply. Any suggestion on how I can proceed with my work ? I like to do the shapes and geometry in Rhino but I like the Archicad to create plans and views (on different projects). I have visualARQ on Rhino but I not really familiar with it yet.
runxel
Legend
rodrigodoprado88 wrote:
Any suggestion on how I can proceed with my work ? I like to do the shapes and geometry in Rhino but I like the Archicad to create plans and views (on different projects). I have visualARQ on Rhino but I not really familiar with it yet.
One way would be to rebuild it in Archicad, using the Rhino model as a reference – slow and tedious, but better results.
VisualARQ can export IFC. You could try that, then import it in Archicad. You should be able to place openings now.
I fiddled with it some time ago, but I found the export buggy and generally bad in quality. Maybe it has gotten better by now.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the attention.
Learn and get certified!