Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Role / Responsibility

Srinivas
Booster
Dear all,

I would like to know what is the Role/Responsibility of CAD Manager in a firm.

I never came across such a kind of Designation in many of the firms i've visited here in India.

Thanks in advance.

Srinivas.
ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
14 REPLIES 14
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Hunter wrote:
I think that while software programming skills is a bonus, it is not a requirement.
Sure, but what's important is that person has a very good understanding of both the software and the profession (architecture, engineering,...) and of course organization and managerial skills.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Andy Thomson
Advisor
IME, this role is, simply stated, 'Let not the deficiencies of the software or the users make fools of the firm' - as the minimum, and maximum 'Enable the delivery of Documents that Excelleth in both quality and completeness, such that consultants, partners and clients are consistently blown away by the results and the efficient and timely manner in which they were delivered.' In otherwords, fix broken projects, and perfect good ones.

Must posess keen troubleshooting knowledge - bordering on supersensibility 😉
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
andyro wrote:
IME, this role is, simply stated, 'Let not the deficiencies of the software or the users make fools of the firm' - as the minimum, and maximum 'Enable the delivery of Documents that Excelleth in both quality and completeness, such that consultants, partners and clients are consistently blown away by the results and the efficient and timely manner in which they were delivered.' In otherwords, fix broken projects, and perfect good ones.

Must posess keen troubleshooting knowledge - bordering on supersensibility 😉
I think your confusing the "expectations" of a CAD Manager with the "role/responsibility"
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
TomWaltz
Participant
I've started wearing tights & a cape to work...
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
Laura wrote:
Hunter wrote:
I think that while software programming skills is a bonus, it is not a requirement.
Sure, but what's important is that person has a very good understanding of both the software and the profession (architecture, engineering,...) and of course organization and managerial skills.
The one thing missing from Tom's job brief were the relevant preffesional skills.

I wondered why.

It is essential.

As he so well shows.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen