Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

STL File Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
I recently received a zip folder containing several file types for a hydraulic hangar door system. I looked up the best ways to convert the step file, sat file and x_t file. Most everything I came across suggesting converting it to an STL file and then importing it into archicad, however importing a step file via FreeCAD and exporting it as a STL file changes the file size from 2MB to 82.7MB. Apparently it causes a lot of issues with archicad and I haven't been able to reduce the file size successfully yet. Is there a way to just import a step file as an object or reduce the STL file without drastically distorting the mesh? I've tried Meshmixer but I can't find a tutorial on how to reduce without breaking the object. Any help would be appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You could also try using IFC for the conversion.
When you save it make sure that BREP is used for geometric representation, in that case the exact geometry will be exported to the IFC file.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Carstenem
Expert
I suggest if FreeCAD can export as 3ds to try that
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You could also try using IFC for the conversion.
When you save it make sure that BREP is used for geometric representation, in that case the exact geometry will be exported to the IFC file.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27