BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Scary calculation in OS X.4 Calculator

Trying to figure out why this happens and if it can have any impact on CAD. In the computers and systems I've been able to check out:

OS X.3.# you go to the Calculator, type 200000 * 1.12 and get 224000.
OS X.4, same thing, you get a weird 224000.000000000029.

(In View, precision needs to be set at 11 or higher.)

The widget calculator (not sure how it handles precision) and Excel at 16 decimals seem to be doing OK.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Precision errors are common, but usually inconsequential. Remember that the decimal values are being translated to binary and there are limits to how much overhead programmers want to take on. I wouldn't worry about it. In the real world accuracy past 4 to 5 places is rarely needed and past 11 is pretty much unknown.
TomWaltz
Participant
If I can find a contractor that can build to that accuracy, I'm betting he's a different kind of alien than the president likes to talk about.
Tom Waltz
Thomas Holm
Booster
Ignacio wrote:
OS X.3.# you go to the Calculator, type 200000 * 1.12 and get 224000.
OS X.4, same thing, you get a weird 224000.000000000029.
It's a known problem with the Calculator in OSX.4. I think there was another one of the same kind in OSX.3, but I don't remember the figures. It's not a hardware or system problem. Therefore, other calculators work.
I guess Apple don't think people use the Calculator much. At least not enough to give thsi problem enough priority. I think it's embarrassing for them.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Thomas wrote:
It's a known problem with the Calculator in OSX.4.
Phew, thanks.
Learn and get certified!