Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Schedule Square Footages

jameshart
Newcomer
On a multifamily project I am trying to setup an automatic schedule to count the residential units which will replace the unit count schedules that we currently make in Excel.

I have modeled a zone in each residential unit hotlink module, and then created a schedule that is set to merge uniform items. This works well for all columns until we get to the square footage columns. We need one column that shows the square footage for that unit type, but ArchiCAD adds them all together. Is it possible to tell the schedule to show the area in that column PER UNIT instead of COMBINED? Or can anyone suggest another approach?

Thanks!

desired_result.png
ArchiCAD 22 (6021 USA Full), 2.5 GHz Intel Xeon W iMac Pro, 64 GB RAM, MacOS 10.14, AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64
22 REPLIES 22
jameshart
Newcomer
Screenshot #2: our progress so far. Note the square footages are all combined, can we get the schedule to not add them?

Also, what are the little superscript numbers? And how can I reduce the number of decimal points? I thought changing the dimension settings (US Architect, US Builder, etc.) would change this, but so far it is not.

The Gross and Net areas are currently showing the same and they should not be, but that is a discussion for another time (http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=258077#258077.)
ArchiCAD 22 (6021 USA Full), 2.5 GHz Intel Xeon W iMac Pro, 64 GB RAM, MacOS 10.14, AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64
Anonymous
Not applicable
jameshart wrote:
Also, what are the little superscript numbers? And how can I reduce the number of decimal points? I thought changing the dimension settings (US Architect, US Builder, etc.) would change this, but so far it is not.
Lets start with this one.

Superscript represents "Extra accuracy". (search the online help for the keyword if you need more info).

The changes you need to make are not related to dimensions.
They are related to calculations and schedules and are located here: Options > Project Preferences > Calculation Units and Rules
Anonymous
Not applicable
jameshart wrote:
Is it possible to tell the schedule to show the area in that column PER UNIT instead of COMBINED?
I am not sure what the intention here is. What does a column need to show? 615, 615, 629 instead of 14139, 615 and 1259?
jameshart
Newcomer
Anton wrote:
jameshart wrote:
Lets start with this one.

Superscript represents "Extra accuracy". (search the online help for the keyword if you need more info).

The changes you need to make are not related to dimensions.
They are related to calculations and schedules and are located here: Options > Project Preferences > Calculation Units and Rules
Extra accuracy was it, thanks Anton!
jameshart
Newcomer
Anton wrote:
jameshart wrote:
Is it possible to tell the schedule to show the area in that column PER UNIT instead of COMBINED?
I am not sure what the intention here is. What does a column need to show? 615, 615, 629 instead of 14139, 615 and 1259?
I'm trying to setup a schedule that will generate the unit chart that we use to make manually in Excel.

The first screenshot (the original schedule that we made in Excel) shows for unit type 1.1.0B (column 1) the square footage per unit is 615SF (column 2), there are 23 total units of type 1.1.0B (column 7), and the total square footage of type 1.1.0B units are 14,139sf (column 8).

This can be recreated in the interactive scheduler except for column 2 which ArchiCAD adds all the 1.1.0B units together (column 8.)

How can I create column column 2?
Anonymous
Not applicable
jameshart wrote:

To get it straight, I assume we are talking about AC18 in your signature, as other ARCHICAD versions will differ in this area.

So, initially, you have a schedule that looks like the top one (see image attached).
Then, you check "Merge Uniform Items" and the schedule contracts to look like the one in the middle.
Finally you want a schedule to look like the bottom one, by adding the second column with a typical area of a unit?

Right?
jameshart
Newcomer
Anton wrote:
jameshart wrote:

To get it straight, I assume we are talking about AC18 in your signature, as other ARCHICAD versions will differ in this area.

So, initially, you have a schedule that looks like the top one (see image attached).
Then, you check "Merge Uniform Items" and the schedule contracts to look like the one in the middle.
Finally you want a schedule to look like the bottom one, by adding the second column with a typical area of a unit?

Right?
Yes, absolutely! How did you do that?
Anonymous
Not applicable
jameshart wrote:
Yes, absolutely! How did you do that? 🙂
I don't really like short answers.
I believe understanding is very important for productive workflow, so, bear with me, as this is going to get a bit convoluted.

There are three types of parameters you can add to any of your schedules in AC18:
1. General project parameters you can find under Fields > Available Parameters area of schedule dialog box. You are already familiar with those, so we going to skip this section.
2. Object/Zone parameters. Any object (or zone stamp) in ARCHICAD can fetch you any parameter/variable available in that object/zone stamp. These are not project-related parameters, but rather object-related. This means before you can add those parameters to your schedule you will have to specifically select an object/zone stamp in your library you want to pull parameter into your schedule.
3. IFC property. I would take a wild guess that Industry Foundation Classes are not yet on your immediate priorities list, so I will skip this section too.

Now, if you think about the parameter you want to input into your Schedule (the area of a typical unit), you already know where it is. You entered it yourself into Zone stamp by opening Zone Tool from the Toolbox and editing Zone properties for each zone (unit). All zone-related parameters are stored by ARCHICAD in a Zone stamp, which is itself — just a GDL object.

So, to add a column "two" with a typical floor plan area you will need to pull parameter from a Zone Stamp object (see image attached for more info) in a few steps:
1. Create a schedule with two project-level parameters — "Zone Name" and "Calculated Area" by selecting them under Available Parameters > Zone (you've already done that).
2. Look at the very bottom of the dialog window and locate a black triangle (I marked it with a red ellipse).
3. Press it to review more options to add data to your schedule.
4. Chose "Add Object Parameters" (after all the parameter we are looking for is a Zone Stamp-related, right?)..... see next post.
shcedule1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
5. Select object you need (one of the default Zone Stamps, usually the first one, as shown in my image, but can be any other Zone Stamp Object you use).
6. Find the parameter you need (in our case, called "ROOM_AREA", shown as unselectable grey entry, as it is already added to the area "7" by the time this screenshot was taken).
7. Add "ROOM_AREA" parameter to the schedule and click "OK"

Done. Make sure the column displaying "ROOM_AREA" parameter is in the right place by moving it up or down the schedule list.

If you have any more questions — let me know and I will take the time to answer them.