Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Shared parameters

Vincent G_
Enthusiast
Hello,

I'm not certain this is the right section of the forum as this topic covers a few of them, let me know if you find a more appropriate location and I'll change.

I'm actually working on a project we had to split in 3 files: 2 working file 91 for each building) and one central file. The reason behind that is the important slope of the site, so for the ease of modelling and logical documentation we have both building having their own FFL storey levels. We export PMKs (for drawings) and mods into the central file that host sheets and general 3D model.

My question is, and I couldn't find anything specific online, is it possible somehow to have 'shared parameters" in AC? Our two working-files should have exactly the same parameters and attributes (pens, graphical override, MVO...). When we operate a change in one, we got to do the same operation on the other file, ideally immediately to not forget about it and end up with unwanted differences between files.

I know we can export/import attributes, we've been working this way but it's not ideal and it's quite time consuming in the long run.. That would be very interesting to have shared parameters that you can apply to a bunch of projects and will talk to each others.
For instance i got my files A, B and C. I decide to share Pen set, MVO and G.Override as they should be the exact same between these 3 files. If i operate a change of pen on file A, it will apply on B and C next time i Send/Receive, if i add a rule and edit one G.O on building C, it will update on file A and B.

Does that make sense? Is there any smart way to put that in place?
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
Unfortunately there is no central shared attribute source for files.
So you have to change in one and then export/import or do the same change in the others.

It has been mentioned and wished for quite a few times over the years.
Here is one such wish that has been acknowledged by GS and added to the wish list.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=70235

Settings such as MVOs, GOs, Reno Filters, Pen set being used, etc. are not attribute settings.
These also have to be exported/imported between files and then the actual settings used made in each file.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Vincent G_
Enthusiast
Barry wrote:
Unfortunately there is no central shared attribute source for files.
So you have to change in one and then export/import or do the same change in the others.

It has been mentioned and wished for quite a few times over the years.
Here is one such wish that has been acknowledged by GS and added to the wish list.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=70235

Settings such as MVOs, GOs, Reno Filters, Pen set being used, etc. are not attribute settings.
These also have to be exported/imported between files and then the actual settings used made in each file.

Barry.
Thanks Barry,

That's a shame such a function has not been implemented yet, in specific projects that'd be life changing in term of workflow. I suppose in meanwhile we'll have to define a protocol to maintain these guys, like any update relative to the parameters / attributes we'd like to be shared to be operated in one file only and exported on a regular timeline..

Indeed, MVO GO.. are no attribute, I might have wrote that post a bit too quick. thanks for the precision.