Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Sharing files with Microstation v8 and later

Jacek
Contributor
Hello,
I have a model of a building in AC 11 that I export- save as .dgn to Microstation. When it's imported the scale is 'Way Off' - as my consultant tells me. I tried to reset the scale in the "Options' dialog box to one compatible with ArchiCAD but there are some options that I don't understand - in the DGN Savee box that are not explained in the Help files:
Master Units
Sub units
Pos Units (?)
Etc..
the whole thing comes across like a major pain.
Anyone has experience with Microstation?
Help Please!
jacek lisiewicz
----------------------------------------------
arkhos-tekton, architects
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
IMac Retina 5K, Intel Core I7
32 GIG Memory, AMD Radeon R9
ArchiCAD 24
10 REPLIES 10
Thomas Holm
Booster
My Microstation experience might be a bit dated... I was an active Microstation user up to version SE, then when Bentley orphaned the Mac I decided Archicad was better... never regretted that once.

But to the issue in question:
We converted files back and forth a lot, as we had started using Archicad long before, and were, and still are, collaborating with Autocad users.

We found that the best way to get files from Archicad to Microstation with full control over everything was going through DWG. Archicad's Save as DGN option was never good for anything more than quick looks to see that everything was in place. While I haven't teste Archicad's DGN capabilities recently, I have no reason to believe it's better nowadays.

On the other hand, both Archicad's and Microstation's DWG conversions have improved considerably since those days. So that is my recommendation:
- Save As DWG.
- Let the receiver handle the DWG to DGN issues.
- Go through DWG both ways.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Jacek
Contributor
Thomas,
I am working in an all Microstation office using 2004 version 8, at some point everyone will move to the 3-D version, some are on it already.
The problem is that the office standards are very well developed and established, requiring very little of the end user in terms of understanding the inner workings.
I have tried both ways that you suggest and was told that the scale was wrong and that something was wrong with ArchiCAD. I am working with a newly installed AC version 11 on windows Vista and was a little unsure about the settings - being a lifetime Mac user. Not a good start. I will give it a try again, when I have a little more time and fewer people breathing down my neck.
Thank you for your help and suggestions,
Jacek
jacek lisiewicz
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
ArchiCAD 24
Thomas Holm
Booster
OK.
In short:
- Avoid Archicad's DGN converter.
- Use the DWG translator instead.
- If scaling is off, you have set the DrawingUnit wrong in the translator settings.
- You also need to have the corresponding unit set right in Microstation when you import the DWG.

(you know, I once created this site http://www.arkitur.se/maf/snuttareng.html , and now I can't even remember what the global unit setting is called in Microstation!)
Jacek
Contributor
Thomas,
after talking to my reseller, who advised me to save as DWG from a 3-D window in ArchiCAD or simply save as a 2-D DWG from plan, section etc. -
it worked!
Now I have a pending question about saving the 3-D model as a manipulable (?) model to Microstation, he advises using the IFC export as process, however there is no documentation anywhere on how to do this and the export as 'IFC 2x3" window has many options within it - none explained or documented in ArchiCAD, IFC website, or Microstation.
The question has gone - I'm told 'all the way up to the Head Support at Graphisoft" - for explanation. I am waiting. Thanks for your suggestions. Perhaps this topic will generate more interest - many Microstation users out there.
jacek lisiewicz
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
ArchiCAD 24
Thomas Holm
Booster
Jacek wrote:
Thomas,
after talking to my reseller, who advised me to save as DWG from a 3-D window in ArchiCAD or simply save as a 2-D DWG from plan, section etc. -
it worked!
Sorry, I thought you knew that procedure. It is adequately explained in Archicad's Help menu.

On Graphisoft's web site, there is an IFC support page. In the Downloads section you'll find some quite comprehensive documents.
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/ifc/
However, some of the info there seems a bit dated. You may find more recent docs through your reseller.
Also, a search on IFC in this forum will give you more.
Jacek
Contributor
Thomas,
I looked at the instructions on the Graphisoft website, they do refer to an early version of IFC 2x and the information is three years old. One would expect an updated and more specific reference to the current version.
It is somewhat helpful though.
On the 3-D export; I did know about it from the early Export/Import of DXF 'wire models' into and out of AC. Didn't think of using it that way today.
Thank you,
Jacek
jacek lisiewicz
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
ArchiCAD 24
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
Has there been any progress in the conversion from PLN to DGN in ArchiCAD 14?

I'm not familiar with Microstation - is the DGN format similar to DWG as a 2D drawing? I signed up on the Bentley forums but they are a bear to search.

Is the recommended process still going from PLN to DWG to DGN using publisher?
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Jacek
Contributor
MMontgomery

Our office is moving away from Bentley Microstation to Revit.
I am afraid the translation is still save as DWG and import to ArchiCAD, or Revit, for that matter.
No improvements to my knowledge.
jacek lisiewicz
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
ArchiCAD 24
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
As far as I read in various places, Microstation's DWG export-import is supposted to be pretty good.
ArchiCAD's DWG export-import is also pretty good.
So probably DWG is the way to go, and not DGN.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27