Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Sketch line type & dwg translation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Howdy

our clients have asked us to submit plans/ elevations (in DWG format) in both "hardline" CAD lines as well as a more "sketchy" look

i have used the "SKETCH" line type... as well as creating a similar one of my own

however... when exported to DWG for their use on autoCAD... the resultant file has lines all over the place... and does not resemble how it looks in archiCAD (a problem with the way i have the translator setup?.... is there a similar line type on autoCAD that they can apply to the file that i shoot thru?)

what we need is the following:
- draft in archiCAD using standard lines, walls etc
- convert that file (one button click ideally) into a sketch look (is archiSketchy an option... what format is the file that it generates... and how does it translate to DWG)
- convert to DWG and have it look correct on the client side

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

yukioMishima
28 REPLIES 28
Erika Epstein
Booster
Yukio,
There has been discussion about this over the years hear, do a search.
Slightly off-topic, in your Location you list ö . Where is ö?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
erika

thanks for the reply

i did do a search prior to posting... but either my searching skills are lacking... or the specifics answers that i needed did not show up

ö is österreich (Austria)

anyone else with hints/tips/solutions/links they would breatly appreciated

thanks in advance

yukioMishima
rocorona
Booster
Have a look to Cigraph's ArchiSketchy:
http://www.cigraph.it/cigraph/pagetrans.do?lang=en&action=current_product_esempi&prodotti_id=7

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Sketchy dwg! No way!

If you want sketchy, stick to AC! Or Photoshop! Or tracing paper!
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the replies

are you saying then... that either with sketch lines in AC... or by using archiSketchy... that there is NO WAY for what i see in archiCAD to translate over to autoCAD?

are there any autoCAD line types that they can load that i can map to the archiCAD sketch line type (using a translator)... or is it just not possible

thanks

yukioMishima
Anonymous
Not applicable
AC can translate all lines except symbol lines, because dwg just doesn't support such lines.

Why do you want to spoil a good drawing with sketchy make-up?
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment

thanks for the reply

is there any similar "sketchy" line in autocad that i can just translate to from archiCAD to autoCAD using a translator

also

what is with archiSketchy.... will that help with the process

unfortunately this is a client driven decision.... and they provide us with alot of work... so i really need to find some sort of solution

thanks again

yukioMishima
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it necessary to convert the drawings as dwg?
If you have to send them to the client, why don't you send him pdfs?
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment

thanks again for another response

unfortunately... it is necessary to send to the client... they want dwg's so that they can use/manipulate as required

does archiSketchy deal with this issue... or does it not translate well to autoCAD either?

thanks again

anyone else have any insights?

yukioMishima