Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Sketch line type & dwg translation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Howdy

our clients have asked us to submit plans/ elevations (in DWG format) in both "hardline" CAD lines as well as a more "sketchy" look

i have used the "SKETCH" line type... as well as creating a similar one of my own

however... when exported to DWG for their use on autoCAD... the resultant file has lines all over the place... and does not resemble how it looks in archiCAD (a problem with the way i have the translator setup?.... is there a similar line type on autoCAD that they can apply to the file that i shoot thru?)

what we need is the following:
- draft in archiCAD using standard lines, walls etc
- convert that file (one button click ideally) into a sketch look (is archiSketchy an option... what format is the file that it generates... and how does it translate to DWG)
- convert to DWG and have it look correct on the client side

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

yukioMishima
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable
anyone have any intimate experience with the inner working of archiSketchy

export format

ease of use

integration with autoCAD (so that the sketchy drawings in archiCAd are exactly the same in autoCAD)

thanks in advance

yukioMishima
rocorona
Booster
ArchiSketchy makes an exploded copy of your selected elements, applying some transformation to them (based on preset styles or customized).

This copy can be exported like any other ArchiCad 2D element (lines, arcs, texts and fills). This means that if a symbol-type line is used (there are some jiggled) , that is not passed to DWG.
In Autocad you can have a corresponding line-type, and maybe you can map it in the translator.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
roberto

thanks for the reply

how does one know if you are using a symbol line in archiSketchy or a regular line?

also

what is the line type called in autoCAD so that i can map to it

as we are hoping to translate the entire drawing to "sketchy" in autoCAD... is it not simple possible to draw everything up using solid lines etc... and just use the translator to convert everything to the equiv. autoCAD sketch line? (not much control in how it all looks using this emthod i would assume)

one way or another.... we really need some sor of solution

thanks again one and all

yukioMishima
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are no sketchy lines in Autocad! At least until R2007!
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment

thanks again for the reply

so

if i were to use archiSketchy and then translate to DWG... and open it in autoCAD... what would i see?... would everything go back to straight lines etc

or would it look like a big mess... like it does when translating over a drawing using "symbol" type linework

thanks again

yukioMishima
Anonymous
Not applicable
Probably a big mess.

Or you could call it "Deconstructivism"! 😉
Djordje
Ace
Make sure to also send the ltypeshp.shx that ios generated with the DWG to the client. Just the DWG will not work, as the linetype definitions are not in the file. The same goes if you have bitmap or PDF drawings or logos placed - if you don't send them too, they will not show.

Alternatively, define the sketchy lines in the DWG Translator, and map them from ArchiCAD.

The prerequisite, of course, is to have the same setup on both ends, otherwise something will always be missing.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Erich
Contributor
Having used Autocad for over a decade before switching to AC, I generally agree with Kliment, there are no sketch lines in Autocad that you can map to.

HOWEVER, there is this http://www.autodsys.com/indexh.html should your client wants to purchase an Autocad Add-on. You will notice about halfway down there is a BAD sketch line type. My bet based is that this will make the Autocad file next to useless but who know, perhaps that will work for them.

As I have never used the product I can't really say how well it works or how you would map to it.

HTH
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know if this would work for you, but have you looked at Squiggle?

http://www.aay.com/squiggle.htm
Anonymous
Not applicable
Many people still live in the old days! Sketchy lines in the 21 century!

When I was a student we were forbidden to present our project "on computer", because they "looked ugly"! Some of the old architects wanted lines at the corners to criss-cross! Some others wanted the thick line to be on the inside of the wall, not in the center! We even had a teacher who had even forbidden us to draw in tracing paper but on cardboard!

I remember there even was a CAD program, called DataCAD, whict drew criss-crosed lines at corners corners! Long deseased!

I am glad these people have retired now! They can teach their grandchildren in the kindergarden how to draw by hand with sketchy lines in a criss-cross pattern! I am just sad they didn't retire 15 years ago, when they had to!