BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Sketch line type & dwg translation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Howdy

our clients have asked us to submit plans/ elevations (in DWG format) in both "hardline" CAD lines as well as a more "sketchy" look

i have used the "SKETCH" line type... as well as creating a similar one of my own

however... when exported to DWG for their use on autoCAD... the resultant file has lines all over the place... and does not resemble how it looks in archiCAD (a problem with the way i have the translator setup?.... is there a similar line type on autoCAD that they can apply to the file that i shoot thru?)

what we need is the following:
- draft in archiCAD using standard lines, walls etc
- convert that file (one button click ideally) into a sketch look (is archiSketchy an option... what format is the file that it generates... and how does it translate to DWG)
- convert to DWG and have it look correct on the client side

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

yukioMishima
28 REPLIES 28
vistasp
Advisor
kliment wrote:
Many people still live in the old days! Sketchy lines in the 21 century!
Not necessarily, Kliment. I think it's more to do with looking different from the rest. In my student days, cad programmes were rudimentary or non-existent so we were encouraged to make our (hand) drawings more machine-like. Now that printed/plotted drawings are the standard, many architects are trying to go back to the hand-drawn look.

Some take it to extremes. I know of one architectural practice in the Bay area whose USP is to not have a single computer in their office! All drawings are by hand and even the contracts are typed on a manual typewriter.

They probably agree with Mark Twain who said: "whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform". 😉
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
There is a dirty (just a bit boring) workaround to get what you are looking for:

1. once you created your "hand-style" drawing (use ArchiSketchy or whatever you want use) just plot as file the result using an HP plotter driver.
2. in this way you get a file containing just the 2D entities (not line-type but the component of the line type
3. if your target software can read the HPGL file just import this file, otherwise: open this HPGL file by using ArchiCAD and then export it as DWG or DXF

quite easy but quite boring...

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Vistasp, right to the point!
I should get ArchySketchy to be up with the changes! 😉

Fabrizio, any plans for AutoSketchy release? 😉
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Ivanov,

to tell you the truth we plan our major updates basing them on the users requests and, at least till now, I didn't get any wish about ArchiSketchy: everybody seems to be happy with the current features (it's one of our most sold add-ons).
If you have any request, please, don't hesitate to directly contact me: if I can quickly collect a set of improvements request on ArchiSketchy I could start to work on a new major update...

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
vistasp
Advisor
kliment wrote:
I should get ArchySketchy to be up with the changes! 😉
And because I'm old-fashioned, I'll stay with the machine look!

For those who might also work in AutoCAD, attached is an old LISP routine that draws irregular lines. I think it came from Cadalyst though I can't be sure.

As far as I can recall, it cannot convert existing straight lines to drunk ones - it only creates them.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fabizio, I mean AutoSketchy for AutoCAD!
Just joking!
Djordje
Ace
vistasp wrote:
They probably agree with Mark Twain who said: "whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform". 😉
Ah, so we are safe ... as the majority still clicks away on the black screen and produces drawings instead of the buildings ... 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Wow!
Now I realized your joke!!!
Good idea: AUTOSketchy, AUTOForma, AUTOTerra... why not?
Fabrizio Diodati
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks everyone for your input/insights/suggestions

i would not normally be looking to do the "sketchy" things... but clients needs prevail

i gather from all that has been said that there is no magic bullet on this one

thanks anyway

yukioMishima
Learn and get certified!