Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Sketch up into AC17

Anonymous
Not applicable
hey, real quick one im sure.

im trying to work out how to import sketch up model (.skp) in to AC17.
iv found add ons to do so for up to AC13, so not sure if its the same for 17?

cheers
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Simple . I've imported dozens of sketch up files ( I found off the Google 3D warehouse).

Go to File-File Special-Merge, and select the .skp file. But be sure: SAVE your file as skp 8, 7 or earlier, don't save it as just Sketch Up file, it won't work. ArchiCAD doesn't import it correctly.
Anonymous
Not applicable
awesome, thanks for that.

now that iv got that sorted iv got another problem...

so i want to import some cars that i have downloaded from google wearhouse and im getting this issue (see attached)

is there a way to remove all the linework of the 3d mesh on the downloaded car so it looks more like the smooth finish on the cars that are included in the AC libarays?

cheers
Eduardo Rolon
The formula is:
  • 1. Select object
    2. Right clock and select Convert to Morph
    3. Select the Morph, right click and select settings and change all edges to hidden.
    4. save Morph as object
----
This works reliably about 80% of the time based on the quality of the original model.
-----
My preferred workflow is:
  • 1. Get 3DS
    2. Merge the 3DS in Cinema 4D
    3. Having installed the C4D to AC plugin use that to send to AC
    4. then do previous steps if necessary
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Eduardo:
Was told that when I upgraded from ACv13-ACv17 that my Sketchup files would transport perfectly as before...i.e. walls to wall, floors to floor etc. Come to find out such was taken from us somewhere around ACv15 and the one main reason I upgraded to ACv17 was to have the power of the new AC tools as well as the fun of still using Sketchup with that wonderful auto translation.

Reading your log about exporting a SKP file into C4D then using the C4D plugin to import into AC: If one were to use this procedure do we pick up that inter-operability that we once had between SKP and AC where walls were walls and such? Or are these C4D files just solid objects that we save as GSM's? If the former is the case then it may be worth considering purchasing C4D but very $$$. Would love to get back to where we once were (i.e. SKP/AC).

Thx in advance for any replies you or others may have.
ron
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There was news recently that SketchUp now supports IFC. Here is a SketchUp Help file about it. It says it is available in SketchUp 2014 Pro:

http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000043

So I am supposing it can export IFC which can then be imported into ArchiCAD.
If the IFC element mapping goes out correctly from SketchUp, I can imagine Walls in SketchUp will come in as Walls in ArchiCAD when imported as IFC. Similarly with other main element types.
I have not tried this though as I don't use SketchUp.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
Ron,
If I remember correctly what the SketchUp add on did was convert vertical planes to walls, horizontal to slabs and inclined to roof. This could work if you modeled in SU with only planes that had no width. Once you created a BOX for a "wall" then the import became a mess.

The person that indicated that they transported perfectly as before though correct misled on you on the Add-On. If you model in SketchUp then you can import it into AC without any trouble and if you need to edit it you can convert it to a Morph but all the elements will be Morphs not walls, slabs etc.

AFAIK SketchUp does not have dedicated tools for walls, slabs etc and as Lazlo indicated using IFC might help with this but I have not tried it.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Laszlo and Eduardo:

Thanks to both of your for your replies regarding SKP to AC. Sorry for my tardy response....(some log-in issues).

I've yet to try the IFC export/import extension but will give it a shot. Can't remember what the last version of AC was that allowed SKP models to be imported into AC in their entirety where walls, roofs, slabs etc. came into AC perfectly as did doors and windows. It was (in my mind) amazing and was one of the main reasons I upgraded from AC13-ACv17 (well that and the morph tool). Only to find out that said capability of importing SKP models as described had been discontinued. Would love to know the reasoning behind that decision. Competition? Lack of interest? For me (at least back then) if was the best of both worlds getting to model in Sketchup and quickly and easily formalizing said model in AC and then preparing the docs.

Will check out the IFC extension but will probably need to say goodbye to SKP and begin modeling everything in AC.

thx for your help.
ron