Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.
SOLVED!

Small firm using Dropbox NOT BimCloud/Teamwork

4hotshoes
Advisor
I am just starting to work with a small firm that has been getting by, sharing Archicad files via Dropbox. What are some problems that will crop up using a cloud service that are solved by using BimCloud (Basic or SAAS)? I am predicting that libraries will be the first problem, but I am not sure. What do you predict?
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Podolsky
Ace
The main problem using Dropbox is missing path for libraries and added files. It happens because on different computers paths to Dropbox folders on hard drive are different - let say using Windows and Mac. Also paths for publishing sets. So every time opening file, that was in use on another computer, you need to check and possibly re-link libraries and also check right path set in publisher before issuing drawings.
Another small problem - that two people on different computer can open the same file. But in that case you will get notification while opening file, that file is opened on another computer. Just ArchiCAD creates small text file when you open a PLN file (and deletes when you are closing file), that reads another computer before opening the same file. But sometimes, if system crashed, this notification file can stay - and you can get notification, that file is in use, when actually it isn’t.
But apart of that - all fine. I was working almost a year like that, before we decided to switch on BIM cloud.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
Podolsky
Ace
The main problem using Dropbox is missing path for libraries and added files. It happens because on different computers paths to Dropbox folders on hard drive are different - let say using Windows and Mac. Also paths for publishing sets. So every time opening file, that was in use on another computer, you need to check and possibly re-link libraries and also check right path set in publisher before issuing drawings.
Another small problem - that two people on different computer can open the same file. But in that case you will get notification while opening file, that file is opened on another computer. Just ArchiCAD creates small text file when you open a PLN file (and deletes when you are closing file), that reads another computer before opening the same file. But sometimes, if system crashed, this notification file can stay - and you can get notification, that file is in use, when actually it isn’t.
But apart of that - all fine. I was working almost a year like that, before we decided to switch on BIM cloud.
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hello,

I also suggest to read this article: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/95438/

You might already familiar with this behaviour of save, since many other programs can have similar results, but I hope you will find it useful.

Kind regards,
Noémi

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

Miha Nahtigal
Advocate
We've been using cloud sync for ten+ years. Started with Dropbox, currently on Synology Cloudstation Drive.

There is an easy solution with libraries/projects having different source directory. You map your Dropbox/Onedrive/Synology folder or even subfolder to a new unused drive letter. Doing this with the same on every computer solves library paths problems (the same applies to hotlinks, modules,...).

There were indeed some problems saving larger projects with Dropbox. You should not save your project while sync of the same project is already in progress. An error pops up "Cannot save plan file". Everything works fine after sync completes previous save.
Karl Ottenstein
vuego wrote:
There is an easy solution with libraries/projects having different source directory. You map your Dropbox/Onedrive/Synology folder or even subfolder to a new unused drive letter. Doing this with the same on every computer solves library paths problems (the same applies to hotlinks, modules,...).
Easy if you are running Windows OS 🙂
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB