BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Snow Leopard

Erika Epstein
Booster
Just received notification that Snow Leopard is out on Friday.

This will be my first mac OS upgrade and I am wondering what is involved? Do I order it, or wait a month or more? Any tips?

Will I have to upgrade other software?
Go ahead, laugh at the newbie to mac
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
100 REPLIES 100
Anonymous
Not applicable
Strange.......I have installed Snow Leopard on both my MacBook Pro 17" and my Mac Pro.
Archicad 12 runs with no problem on the MacBook Pro but crashes on start up on the Mac Pro.
Both intel
Karl Ottenstein
mclean wrote:
Strange.......I have installed Snow Leopard on both my MacBook Pro 17" and my Mac Pro.
Archicad 12 runs with no problem on the MacBook Pro but crashes on start up on the Mac Pro.
Both intel
It might have something to do with the USB drivers for each? Or maybe the WIBU driver is a different version on each?

Do a spotlight search for 'WkConfig' and run it. At the bottom of the window will be the Driver Version.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that Graphisoft should announce an official news about the integration of AC 9,10,11,12 with Snow Leopard. I mean they are the developers and we as users should know from them if to go ahead and upgrade our systems or not.

There's a big vacuum for us today, for the want to upgrade is so big but we don't know if it will mess up ArchiCAD's functionality.

Please Graphisoft, inform us what to do, or how long to wait.

Thank You in advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just installed Snow Leopard on the laptop and can report that it works for me, and feels a bit snappier. I'll report back when I install it on the office computer, an older Core Duo iMac.
Karl Ottenstein
As I said, GS is working on an article that will describe the issues.

I would recommend that you NOT upgrade to Snow Leopard until the article and updated WIBU driver are posted since you may end up with a situation such as mcclean's Mac Pro where AC will not run and you will then not be able to work until you either roll back to Leopard, or the new driver is posted.

I heard from a colleague that QT VR's will not work with QT X that is installed by Snow Leopard. I confirmed that Apple dropped VR support from QT X and that you'll either have to keep QT 7, or reinstall it, to be able to view any VR's. This will be a pain for any clients on Macs who have upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Unless you can afford to deal with problems - or do not have any real work that has deadlines, I think waiting at least a week or two for more issues like these to be reported here and by Graphisoft would be prudent before upgrading.

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with Karl that I probably should not have upgraded to Snow Leopard. I did prepare with a full Time Machine backup and a SuperDuper! clone before I did so. I could then revert as needed or run off the cloned drive.
Leaping into the great unknown, I did upgrade my old iMac (before his posting) and can report that all is well in Archicad 12 land. Snow Leopard offers the option to install Quicktime 7, so I would select now, reading his sage advice.

Thanks, Karl
Karl Ottenstein
Chris wrote:
I did prepare with a full Time Machine backup and a SuperDuper! clone before I did so. I could then revert as needed or run off the cloned drive.
Perfect approach, since the clone could save you if necessary. From experience, I know that the typical Mac user will not create a clone so my advice to wait a bit was really for them.

Happy to hear things are going well. I'm looking forward to the upgrade...after you early adopters have shaken out all of the issues. 🙂

Thanks,
Karl
joelsdg
Enthusiast
Hey All,

I just updated my MacBook Pro to 10.6, and running AC 11 (on a cursory look) is OK. I opened a file, opened the 3D window to look around, and did a partial Lightworks render. No problems, (fingers crossed) I'll report back if I spot anything.

I did (on recommendations from you all) clone my HD with Carbon Copy Cloner before I updated, thanks!

Joel
AC 6.5-26; macOS Ventura; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9
Anonymous
Not applicable
We just took delivery of the New Mac OS X Snow Leopard and will install it tonight.
it will be interesting to see if it speeds anything up.

Anyone else ordered/installed yet?
Stress Co_
Advisor
Read HERE
You may want to wait?

EDIT: Topics were merged by the Moderator ... don't bother with the link... It'll bring you right back here.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Learn and get certified!