Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Solidworks parts and assemblies

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone had any involvment with importing or exporting solidworks models into archicad?

We are a shopfitting & joinery company, so produce store designs as well as manufacturing drawings for joinery items. It would be great if we could use Solidworks to create out joinery items and then import the models directly into ArchiCAD.
8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
What are your export options from SolidWorks?

Are these ongoing designs or asre you assembling a static library of components?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
We will be creating objects on an on-going basic. Maybe even using stardardised parts for counters and furniture.

The export options from solid works 2003 are,

IGES (.igs)
ACIS (.sat)
STL (.stl)
VRML (.wrl)
VDAFS (.vda)
Catia Graphics (.cgr)
ProE part (.prt)
Reality Wave ZGL (.zgl)
HCG (.hcg)
Hoops HSF (.hsf)
Viewpoint MTX/MTS (.mts)
Anonymous
Not applicable
....import a 3D building component into my model. The manufacturer provided step files and igs files. How can I convert them to 3Ds, or dwg or maybe even sketchup??

Thanks in advance Cary

ArchiCAD 11 build 1114 usa full
windows XPsp2
Chazz
Enthusiast
I can now speak with at least a little authority on this topic. I am close to completing the 3d modeling of my client's entire fixtures catalog for retail design. They are a global retailer of a specific product line but also design and manufacture all of the display hardware in their stores. Its a huge list of stuff. The entire line was previously modeled in Pro E or SolidWorks or something (for manufacture) but converting this stuff to GDL objects via 3DS gave basically unusable results. Too many polygons and lots of extraneous facets when viewed in hidden line mode (elevations, etc). It just did not work. So while it was a massive undertaking to model it all in AC, the finish result is great.

Therefore, my advice would be (if you can) to think about just making the junk in ArchiCAD to begin with.

Not having good 3DS (and other 3d formats) import options in AC is a major shortcoming of ArchiCAD but on the other-hand, modeling everything anew in AC has kept shoes on baby for the last few months.....
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
so much for interoperability!!!! Chazz thanks for the response

ArchiCAD 11 build 1114 usa full
windows XPsp2
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have Cinema 4d installed (they have a free demo), there's a way to get your Solidworks Part/Assembly into ArchiCAD, and it's not too hard either. Just do it in the following order:

1. SolidWorks:
Step 1. Set Display/Image Settings to their highest values
Step 2. Save the part/assembly as a *.wrl file

2. Cinema 4D:
Step 1. Open the *.wrl file via File --> Open
Step 2. Export as 3d Studio file (File --> Export --> 3d Studio)

3. ArchiCAD
Step 1. Make sure the '3ds in' add-on is loaded (Options --> Add-on Manager)
Step 2. File --> File Special --> Import 3d Studio File --> Convert 3ds to GDL Object
Step 3. Voila!

You may need to add a few steps in Cinema 4d to get the right materials/texturing, but the basic steps are the same

hope it helps,

adeel
reidweber
Enthusiast

Hello, reviving this topic a few years later.. Has there been any development in transferring a 3D model from Solidworks to Archicad?

Thanks

ArchiCAD 24, 25 & 26 US
WINDOWS PC, 16GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHZ, NVIDIA GEForce GTX 970, ASUS, CM6870, Rev X.0x
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

No development on this front and I must say I understand since there is a very small group of users who would need such a functionality.

I can see Solidworks export STL, you may try importing that into Archicad.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27