Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Specify to move by X/Y value when importing IFC

cs_ryl
Booster

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is an option when importing IFC model from consultants that allows you to move their model by certain X & Y value, instead of dragging them each time? 

I know you can do it with place drawing from external tab but can't seem to be able to do it with IFC?

AC23 AUSTRALIA
MacBook Pro M1 2020 8GB Memory | macOS Monterey 12.3.1
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution

No, imagine it as drawing. You can place in anywhere in your model and when you change the drawing itself it will not move in your model. It is same with hotlink module. You can place it wher you want and how many times you want. Model in the module has its own point of origin and when you move whole module you change position of this module point of origin relative to you model point of origin.

BIM Manager at SIEBERT+TALAŠ
www.sieberttalas.com

View solution in original post

Solution

That's exactly what i meant.

And yes, it woud be better if there was an option to specifi X/Y/Z value to project zero before inserting hotlink. it can only be done graphically afterwards.

www.sieberttalas.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Lukas Zeleny
Enthusiast

You can place IFC file as htlink module. You move it on the right place only once at the beginning and it will maintain its position afther updating with new IFC file version.

www.sieberttalas.com

thanks @Lukas Zeleny 

Wouldn't i have to move it in the hotlink file itself everytime when I receive updated models - because the consultant can't move their models which is why it would be handy to have that option when merging IFCs

AC23 AUSTRALIA
Solution

No, imagine it as drawing. You can place in anywhere in your model and when you change the drawing itself it will not move in your model. It is same with hotlink module. You can place it wher you want and how many times you want. Model in the module has its own point of origin and when you move whole module you change position of this module point of origin relative to you model point of origin.

www.sieberttalas.com

Right I think I know what you mean here @Lukas Zeleny 

Instead of moving it in the original IFC (after opened in AC and either saved as IFC or as a PLN) it will be hotlinked in first, and then moved to the correct coordinates as established between consultants. This will help avoid having to move them again because the hotlink will remember where it's been moved to. 

This would work - though somehow I still think it could be a good option to have where we could specify the insertion point relative to the project coordinates in X/Y/Z value. 

AC23 AUSTRALIA
Solution

That's exactly what i meant.

And yes, it woud be better if there was an option to specifi X/Y/Z value to project zero before inserting hotlink. it can only be done graphically afterwards.

www.sieberttalas.com