Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Strategy of naming worksheets in your tempates?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,

First week of work after the holidays I'm working on some template improvements. I've been thinking of implementing a more strict naming convention regarding the worksheets and would like to hear your thoughts. Maybe you've done it in a smarter way. I've crated dummy headers for different categories as in the attach (I'm already using the same dummy headers for layers). The user must enter the correct ID to get a new worksheet sorted under the correct header.

Today we don't restrict naming of worksheets so it gets messy rather quickly.

Best,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
6 REPLIES 6
DGSketcher
Legend
I do a similar thing for a variety of views, not just worksheets. It would really help if the Project Map had the ability to create subfolders which could then have their own shortcuts into the View Map. Another one for the wish list...
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
DGSketcher wrote:
I do a similar thing for a variety of views, not just worksheets. It would really help if the Project Map had the ability to create subfolders which could then have their own shortcuts into the View Map. Another one for the wish list...
Worksheets is the only type we haven't "headerized" yet. We've flagged the need for subfolders since forever. Won't happen I guess.
AC 25 SWE Full

Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems like a good idea with empty worksheets for headers. Just like you, we use the same system with such Layer "headers".

In my projects I also use a common worksheet for each floor with all the consultants' drawings. Their drawings are placed on a layer depending on the profession and can be turned on and off as needed in the Layer Combinations/saved Views.

So I have a Worksheet called "Consultants' Drawings Plan 10" and so on and then a View called "Ventilation Plan 10", "Ventilation+Plumbing Plan 10",...

Some of my colleagues usually have all their drawings separately - a single drawing on a single worksheet, but just for these - plumbing, heating, ventilation, electricity and engineer's drawing, these I like to have all together on a "common" worksheet for each floor.

Then it's for example easier to trace ventilation and plumbing at the same time with the main plan and it's also an easy way to reduce the number of Worksheets in a project. And for me, it's also faster to navigate between them.

With a little workaround, you can even turn on the Drawing Title on your placed Drawing on a Worksheet, so you can see if you have the right Drawing on the right Worksheet then. Below is an example of electrician's drawings stacked one on each other on such "common" worksheet (other consultants turned off).
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
mbl wrote:
With a little workaround, you can even turn on the Drawing Title on your placed Drawing on a Worksheet.
How do you do that?
AC 25 SWE Full

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
How do you do that?
It works when you copy a Drawing with a turned on Drawing Title from a Layout. (I am not sure why did Graphisoft decide to disable the Title outside of Layouts...)

First, you can adjust your Drawing Title on the Layout - Pens, Font, the overall look and then copy and paste the Drawing to a Worksheet. Then just relink the Drawing.
The Drawing Title will not be editable on the Worksheet anymore, but you can copy and paste it as you like and it will update its contents after relinking the Drawing's source.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!