Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Studs from wall framing object

How do you get the interactive schedule to include the studs, trimmers, plate, sill, and headers generated by the Wall Fraiming object ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve,

You have a pretty big project ahead of you. You need to build properties associated to a database. If you are using the default database and calculations you are half way there. You need to go to calculate/new properties. Then decide how you want to calculate the parts you want (i.e. 2x4x8, 2x4x16 for plates etc) you need to add individual componants for each and then assign them a calculation. You also need to keep in mind that all global parameters calculate in meters so you need to convert to feet and inches for US. It is a VERY cumbersome process. Hope this helps, I would need to type several pages to explain fully. Thanks.

Barry Halloran
TomWaltz
Participant
It depends. What do you mean by "include?" Do you just want a count of them? Lengths?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
How do you get the interactive schedule to include the studs, trimmers, plate, sill, and headers generated by the Wall Fraiming object ?
Steve,
I've seen some of your work posted - its very detailed and very precise. Before trying to "schedule" items from the standard wall framing accesory, do you feel that the object(s) is adequate enough to give the specific info you might require?

How do you plan to handle extra trimmers/jacks on wide header openings?

How about headers?...how are you going to make sure you get the size each specifc opening might require when all openings can only have one condition specified per wall framing object???

Just curious...I've wanted to get to this level of detail in my projects as well but have never been convinced that adequate tools/objects were available.

Dan K
I am trying to determine if the Wall Framing object is even useable for generating a cut list for wall framing components; studs, headers, trimmers, plate, etc... If not, I will model them with objects that I know will work with my Interactive Schedules.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Karl Ottenstein
Steve wrote:
I am trying to determine if the Wall Framing object is even useable for generating a cut list for wall framing components; studs, headers, trimmers, plate, etc... If not, I will model them with objects that I know will work with my Interactive Schedules.
The quick answer for the "Wall Framing" accessory object is that "no" (qualified), it does not currently have the capabilities of generating information for a cut list.

There are three methods for generating the cut list.

First, if you want the cut list to be exactly what is generated by the Wall Framing accessory, then you (or someone) needs to modify the GDL for that object so that it generates the desired components. Basically, COMPONENT statements need to be inserted in the script wherever geometry is produced, creating an appropriate component for your list. This will show up in a Calculate List scheme, not the interactive scheduler.

The other method doesn't require the wall accessory at all, but involves writing a Property Object in GDL that will be linked to the wall. The code in this object will compute - based on your rules for studs, plates, headers, etc. ... how the wall should be framed and generate the cut list. This is much harder than the approach above, because you have to read the global variables that describe every opening (window/door) in the wall to figure out your double studs, headers, etc. But, it is the most flexible because you can generate anything about the wall based on your rules, not necessarily what is there. Several sample property objects ship with ArchiCAD.

The third method, a hybrid, is what I recommend here since you can use your own rules based on the logic already provided in the accessory's GDL code. For the headers, there will be a place in the GDL that generates the header prism ... you'll just take the width of that, and for your component generation, use your own look-up rules to define the depth (height) before spitting out the COMPONENT. If you need special blocking, tie downs, whatever, just generate that as appropriate.

Now, to anticipate your next question. 😉 Yes, I agree, that this functionality (parametric component generation) should have been delivered as part of the object. Easy to write once in Budapest. A lot of work for everyone who needs it to have to modify the object.

Very few people seem to use this object, so I suspect that's why the topic hasn't come up before...?

Regards,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
There you have it folks. I guess I will keep using the RoofMaker objects to model my wall framing.