BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Switching project between archicad and revit

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello

Can you twitch a project between ArchiCAD and Revit or vice versa? If you can, is there a specific version of the software you need to accomplish this?

I would appreciate any help

Thank you
8 REPLIES 8
Hello mcCad,

Archicad birth was in 1984 that means 2 years after Autodesk Autocad. In 90ies it was the ODA birth. It aim was to make the Autocad DWG open. Archicad was already a teenager.

In 90ies too, AIA (BuildingSmart today) was created to make a BIM open format. The IFC

In 2002 so 18 years after Archicad it was Revit birth (that Autodesk buy). Because of this delay, yo you are able to understand that Revit get other aim about collaboration with the other softwares. Today the only way to switch project from a software to another is IFC file but you have to think that IFC 2x3 are not made to be modified. (Revit is always not certified ifc4)

Archicad is a great and easy software to export and import IFC file but we can not tell the same about Revit.

Finaly you are able to import rfa like GDL object and rvt into your Archicad like a module but that do not mean you can modify them.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok so technically you can just open the file but you can't edit to add new components.

Thank you for your help
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
BIM applications have very different data structures and so perfect data translation and exchange with no data loss is practically impossible to do. So, for example, when exchanging files through the IFC format, the most successful approach is to use the exported IFC file as a reference in the other BIM application. This works very well. But I would not aim for direct conversion between Archicad and Revit, technology is just not there yet, and I don't know if it will ever be, although the Open Design Alliance (creators of the RVT/RFA converter technology used in Archicad) are doing everything to make the RVT file format as easy to read and write as they did with DWG.
Another trend that is emerging is the direct live bi-directional connection between applications (enabled by installed Add-Ons or Plug-ins), which transfers only data actually needed by applications. Archicad has such connections, for example, with Solibri, dRofus, Grasshopper.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
mcCad wrote:
Ok so technically you can just open the file but you can't edit to add new components.
Of course you can with a good Revit IFC.
Archicad is able to open an IFC by parametric import but all original IFC elements won't be able to be modify.
I'm often able to use good IFC files after having switched static IFC elements by Archicad parametric entities (objects, windows, etc). All begin with a good IFC : most of the time coming from Revit, I am disappointed.
Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
LaszloNagy wrote:
BIM applications have very different data structures and so perfect data translation and exchange with no data loss is practically impossible to do. So, for example, when exchanging files through the IFC format, the most successful approach is to use the exported IFC file as a reference in the other BIM application. This works very well. But I would not aim for direct conversion between Archicad and Revit, technology is just not there yet, and I don't know if it will ever be, although the Open Design Alliance (creators of the RVT/RFA converter technology used in Archicad) are doing everything to make the RVT file format as easy to read and write as they did with DWG.
Another trend that is emerging is the direct live bi-directional connection between applications (enabled by installed Add-Ons or Plug-ins), which transfers only data actually needed by applications. Archicad has such connections, for example, with Solibri, dRofus, Grasshopper.
Ok, I think I understand it better now, and the IFC format does it works with all version of Revit? Or do you need the latest version?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Christophe wrote:
mcCad wrote:
Of course you can with a good Revit IFC.
Archicad is able to open an IFC by parametric import but all original IFC elements won't be able to be modify.
I'm often able to use good IFC files after having switched static IFC elements by Archicad parametric entities (objects, windows, etc). All begin with a good IFC : most of the time coming from Revit, I am disappointed.
Thank you for your help
mcCad wrote:
Ok, I think I understand it better now, and the IFC format does it works with all version of Revit? Or do you need the latest version?
Revit get this last IFC 2X3 certification at 26/07/2015
Archicad get this last IFC 2X3 certification at 20/09/2013

Link to find all certifications : https://www.buildingsmart.org/compliance/software-certification/certified-software/

IFC are made to be read regardless of software versions.
Christophe - FRANCE

Anonymous
Not applicable
Great, thank you all for your help
Learn and get certified!