Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

TW. Memory problems on clients

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,

We have three TW-projects (rather smallish...1 GB on the BIMserver) and suddenly we can't open them. First they open (slowly) and when all looks good and the plan view is up ArchiCAD freezes and Memory usage goes up to 100% and ArchiCAD crashes.

I tried to export BIMserverproject and upload a copy but with the same result.

All these three are modules (.pln) to a main model. There are two similar module files (.pln) that works fine so something is wrong with the three rogue ones and I ca't figure out what could cause the problem.

/Mats

Edit. There are rogue objects looping which casue the probelm. Trying to delete but the project is crashing faster than I can select and delete.
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
6 REPLIES 6
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
No help whatsoever at this point, but this is why I avoid the Embedded Library in favour of having linked project libraries on our server.

I think you can cancel loading libraries when opening project (also if you are fast enough), but this won't be for embedded library again either I would guess.

Maybe your reseller can help you if you send them the file. (or they can send it to GS for you)
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
If other options don't present themselves, it might be possible to hack together an add-on to delete the rogue part from the embedded library before it has a chance to rebuild the display. Not sure if this will work, but let me know if you're stuck. GS may have an easy answer.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Found the object. It was not embedded so I could kill it from teh project folder. Phew... thanks for advices!
AC 25 SWE Full

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep seem like an issue for support. Anyway, 1gb it quite a big file. After some different painful crashes and performance issues. We have decided not to go above 1 GB on TW projects. Keeping library separate help. On big projects, separate documentation file with layouts is crucial - best on pmk. Besides this you want to avoid .pln modules .mod are much lighter. It will be a bit more to manage but the structure is much safer and performs better since files are smaller.
Mate Marozsan
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
I'm glad that you found the object and now it is working.

kzaremba:

What you mentionned about the project is true. It is a good idea to separate the project to make it faster but depending on the performance of the computer the size of the project can go up to 5-6 GB without any problem. I wouldn't say that it is a limitation.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Máté wrote:
I'm glad that you found the object and now it is working.

kzaremba:

What you mentionned about the project is true. It is a good idea to separate the project to make it faster but depending on the performance of the computer the size of the project can go up to 5-6 GB without any problem. I wouldn't say that it is a limitation.
I agree. We have some projects up to 8 GB and it's not the actual size that makes them hard work with.
AC 25 SWE Full