BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

TW file - "doing a 'save' vs. a 'send'" (How does it differ?

rob2218
Enthusiast
I'm curious.
if I'm in a TW database (not one single PLN rather that jumbled up DB files) and I do a "SAVE"....where does that "save" go to and what is it saving?

Also, if I do a "SEND", I know it communicates the changed data back to the server copy but....well, what's the SAVE function then for in a TW database?

On another question - the users here in our office keep asking me "So..if I crash my TW session, then where's my 'file' that I can go to to retrieve the work I've done"? Where's my "saved" file from the previous save if the TW database is no longer a single PLN?

I'm not sure how to answer them on this one.
Where do they (we) go to to retrieve information after a crash???
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
12 REPLIES 12
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
That save goes to the Local Data Folder.
The location of the folder can be set in the Work Environment Dialog.
Its default is something like this. This is on my computer:

C:\Users\Laci\Graphisoft\TW Data

So this is where the users's current version of the TW project is stored.
It may be that you want to finish working on a project but you do not have access to the BIM Server, maybe it is offline or you are not connected to it.
In this case you can Save and you will have it on your computer. Then you can use the Send when you are connected to the BIM Server to update the shared project on the BIM Server with the changes you made in your local copy.
So Send updates the central database with your local changes.

When you crash while working in a TW project the next time you start ArchiCAD again the Autosave Dialog should come up and offer you the possible project to recover, even it is a TW project. Should work the same way as in case of a Solo Project.

If this Dialog does not come up then I guess it is not possible to recover.
In this case you should use the latest locally saved version of the Project by using the Recent Document list of the File menu. That will open the latest hard saved (by using the Save command) version of the file by reading it from the Local Data Folder.

Periodically pressing CTRL+S to hard-save your project is always recommended, even when working on a TW Project.
When I am working on a real-life project I always do it as a habit like every 15 minutes or so. This way even in the Autosave does not come back I have only lost 15 minutes of work.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rob2218
Enthusiast
Laszlo,
I was also told by GS North America (tech person at GS here in the states) that its a good idea to do a "SAVEAS" PLN solo project from time to time so that if something ever happens to the TW database, you can always "reshare" the PLN file.

I was told NOT to save PLA's that these were 'legacy' type files (older versions of an Archicad save function) which is no longer used that much anymore.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
Laszlo,
I was also told by GS North America (tech person at GS here in the states) that its a good idea to do a "SAVEAS" PLN solo project from time to time so that if something ever happens to the TW database, you can always "reshare" the PLN file.
Yes. This is a good practice just to be on the safe side. If you have a good backup system it may not be necessary though. It can also be a way to fix problems that arise in a teamwork file that is already open.
I was told NOT to save PLA's that these were 'legacy' type files (older versions of an Archicad save function) which is no longer used that much anymore.
It is not necessary to use PLAs for the incremental backup you describe, but this is the first I've heard of it being a "legacy" format. The purpose of a PLA is (and always has been) to bundle up any used library parts, etc into the file to ensure having them if you need to open the file years from now. This is still a valid function and strongly recommended for archiving projects.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
rob2218 wrote:
There may be a misunderstanding about what an archive means.
I don't think there is anything archaic about the PLA save method.
It is the same as the PLN, only libraries are also inckuded.
rob2218
Enthusiast
hummm......well, the "PLA archaic" description is what I was told by a GS North America guru but if you say it's not...then it's not especially coming from the horses mouth (GS HQ).

thanks for the reply.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I will ask again from guys at GS if there is any fundamental difference.
Maybe by "old" it was meant that TW2 is a database-based solution, while PLN/PLA are older formats. The formats of PLP and PLC used in TW1 were basen on and similar to PLN/PLA.
Maybe compared to this cutting-edge databased file format of TW2, they are "older".
But I will check again.
T_Morse
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Rob,

I think you misunderstood what was meant by the term "Legacy". PLA's are used for bringing up "Legacy" projects such as projects from version 7, 8, 9, 10... to version 14. However, PLA's are not necessarily needed in today's ArchiCAD world either IE 13, 14 and beyond where libraries automatically convert themselves and we have the option to embed library objects that do not.

A PLA is not necessarily the same thing as a PLN either. Especially in terms of sharing a 14 PLA to a BIM Server and saving incremental backups. When you share a 14 PLA to a BIM Server you bring with it that PLA library which is not necessary. Since you more than likely already have the 14 library on your BIM Server. This means all you're doing is adding time to your sharing process and then when you go and work on the project you will sit there and wonder why you can't find some library objects.

Basically you want to use PLA's when you are Archiving a project. Meaning you are not going to be using it for a while. (This is not necessarily needed any more thanks to GUIDs)
Do not use a PLA when you are going to simply be re-sharing it to your BIM Server right after saving it.
Tim Morse
Support Engineer
Graphisoft North America
Erika Epstein
Booster
T_Morse wrote:
Rob,
PLA's are not necessarily needed in today's ArchiCAD world either IE 13, 14 and beyond where libraries automatically convert themselves and we have the option to embed library objects that do not.
Not entirely true as the converters neither work 100% and they don't automatically convert unlimited ACs going backwards. The older the parts you have in your file, and this includes the migration libraries full of parts not upgraded for the current iterations, transforming library parts is still work. They currently only convert one or two iterations back.

T_Morse wrote:
Basically you want to use PLA's when you are Archiving a project. Meaning you are not going to be using it for a while. (This is not necessarily needed any more thanks to GUIDs)
Archives are legal record sets. Who knows how many years from now one of these files might need to be viewed.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
rob2218
Enthusiast
Hey Tim!
well, once again....the remote BIM server is not connecting properly.
I could sure use your help again sir.
Seems you are the only one that understands any of this I.P. stuff....
everyone else i talk to becomes "difficult" to understand what they want me to do.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Learn and get certified!