Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

TW2 Education + Univ licenses

Eduardo Rolon
Will TW2 and BIM Server be available for EDU and University users?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

17 REPLIES 17
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is the answer from GS:

TW2 and BIM Server will be available for EDU and University users and these are the basic restrictions:

ArchiCAD 13 EDU (Educational) version
An ArchiCAD file created in the Educational license can be opened by a full (commercial) license of ArchiCAD, which will then switch to Educational mode as long as the Education-license file is in use. The same applies to Education-version projects shared in Teamwork: if you join such a project using a commercial version of ArchiCAD, that version will switch to Educational mode. Projects shared by the full (commercial) version cannot be joined by team members using Educational licenses. The file extensions of ArchiCAD files created in the Educational license are identical to those of files created in the Commercial license (i.e., PLN for a "solo project" and PLA for a "solo project archive"). However, if you print a file created in the Educational license, each printed/plotted page will display a watermark text.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
Thanks Lazlo,

now to figure out how to implement it at school.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Hey! This is a great ground to be covered by TW2!

Imagine: Students and professors sharing their projects... anytime... anywhere...

The bad side: no more excuses like "Sorry professor... The dog ate my project..."
Erika Epstein
Booster
ejrolon wrote:
Thanks Lazlo,

What Karl and I did testing could easily be adapted for your students.

Have them each set up a BIMserver (which includes the BIMserver manager) on their computer and a test file for others to log into. They would also create profiles for the other students giving them persmission to log in. They can create twlink files and email them to the other students. One tip, the first time you download the AClibrary can take a while. What we did was make a small test library so its download was only a few minutes. When we tested, the library did need to be in .lcf file format; it didn't load .pla formats when we tested. I haven't had a chance to test this in R1.

You can make a game out of it collectively creating a small project. One person, perhaps you creating and sharing a project. They would start by putting in walls or a floor or some other building element. Each successive student could then add to the design. Should be an interesting building.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
Erika wrote:
When we tested, the library did need to be in .lcf file format; it didn't load .pla formats when we tested.
To clarify, you can upload a pla library to the server. In the "Manage BIM Server Libraries" dialog, where you do the uploading (or removal), the Upload dialog lets you choose either 'Library Container File' (lcf) or "ArchiCAD Archive Project" (pla) from a drop-down filter. Personally, I don't know why the filter is necessary - I think lcf and pla files should always be selectable. I missed this drop-down filter when Erika and I were testing.

And, of course, you can upload a folder that contains individual objects (or a hierarchy of them).

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a file in the educational version, and have tried to open it in Archicad 13 while running the file in the educational version....and I get this same message over and over. What am I doing wrong?

These are my steps...

Have the educational file open
Go to the finder window, right click the file, and open in Archicad 13
Error Message

AND I've also tried....

Have the educational file open
Go to the finder window and open the Archicad 13 application
Browse for the project (the educational version one)
Click open...
Error Message
Eduardo Rolon
The error is that both AC have to be running in either Education mode or Commercial Mode. Before trying to link to the Edu File (if you have a Commercial Version) you will have to open an Edu file on AC so that it changes to Educational.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the response - but I'm still confused ha. We have Archicad 12 educational - and now have Archicad 13, and I'd like to open my Archicad 12 educational files in Archicad 13. Is this possible? If so, how? Thanks for any input!
Eduardo Rolon
You cannot convert Educational files to Commercial Files. If you have AC12 Educational files you can open them in AC13 but that will switch your AC to Educational until you quit the program, any files opened and saved while your AC is in Educational mode will change to educational and you cannot change them back.

If I understand the error, the problem is that you have a Commercial version of AC connecting to a TW file that is Educational.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator