BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Teamwork File Slow Sign-In

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are currently sharing a teamwork file between two users. Both running mac os x, sharing a 686 MB plp file. The older computer of the two seems to sign in with little delay as opposed to the newer computer which takes an astonishing amount of time to sign in to this file. we have saved it as a pln and re-shared it, but still seem to have the same problem. opening the pln also takes the same amount of time. Any suggestions as to what we might attempt to speed up this process would be grateful?

Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't know what is in that PLP file but it is humongous.
I would first try to bring that file size down.
Do you have huge bitmaps placed in it as Figures?
Do you have your Sections and Elevations as Drawings?
Did you import a lot of DWG files into the PLP?
Do you have compression ON?
Why is the file so huge?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lazlo, Found the problem to be the network connection speed, normally it transfers at 1-gig, but it dropped down to 100-kb. That would sure do it for this file size.
1. Yes, there are bitmaps in the file, is there a way to compress the size of these?
2. The file has been cleaned up as much as possible.
3. Could you clarify the Section/Elevation as drawings, I'm curious about how you set those up.
4. There are no dwgs or hotlinks attached.
5. Compression?, I will look for this and turn it ON!!
6. File size is due to the fact that there are 3 detailed towers on one file. Option was to split the file into 3 and hotlink the other towers into one file. If you have any other suggestions it would be great. Other than that, I don't know what else to try and reduce the size.

Thank you again for your help, always appreciated!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you have a large bitmap it can greatly increase the size of the file.
You can test this by Cutting the bitmaps to the Clipboard and saving the file to see how much its size decreased. The difference will be the space used for the bitmaps.

When you are in the Save or Save As Dialog, click the Options button and there you can enable File Compression. It can reduce the file to as little as 20% of its original size.

By Drawing Section I meant Sections set to be Drawings, not Auto-rebuilt Sections or Manual Rebuilt Sections. In that case all model lines are converted into 2D elements why may also increase file size.

So the file is a Master File with buildings as Hotlinked Modules. Well, that explains some of it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!