Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Teamwork and Profiles, 3rd Party Add-Ons...

Andy Thomson
Advisor
I am having a dog of a time managing a small teamwork file, because we are using many profiles that AFAIK can only be modified in exclusive access mode. Why?? A rhetorical statement/comment/question I guess - not to mention all of the other attributes that occasionally need to be modified on the fly. (can profiles be modified as team leader?? checking this now...)

Also, Cadimage's DWB will not allow users to see the setout tab, even though the library and add-on is loaded correctly, where the setout tab (on the same project even) when opened in SOLO/pln mode. Hmm. Kindof a problem when nobody can modify windows. Anyone else having this problem? I wonder if it has anything to do with the plugin being both mac/pc in the common teamwork environment??

Teamwork is supposed to accelerate development of the project as we can just throw more bodies into the file, but these kinds of speedbumps need to be addressed at some point....

Picture 1.png

Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
14 REPLIES 14
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Where DWB shines is in creating automatic, scaled door and window legends - as in drawings - complete with dimensions. A major timesaver on commercial scale projects.

Also, commercial glazing assemblies that have all kinds of built-in doors, awning windows, etc. DWB lets you define entire walls of glazing assemblies, complete with doors, windows, spandrel, vents, etc. and awning and casement and other panel openings that all feature operable elements, which is great for renderings - some open, some closed, etc. As well as camera-proximity behaviors, for flythroughs....though I don't think this works in Studio.

Of course, the windows can be as simple as you need them to be. The interface is unlike anything you will find in AC10, which can be frustrating at first. The biggest problem is in an office where you have 10+ users on Macs and PCs, where you need to be very smart about managing the libraries, add-ons (yes, there are several just for the DWB components), etc. This is the real headache, and now with TW it gets even more complicated... still, I prefer it to AC10 windows for the reasons cited above. Archiglazing and custom components don't hold a candle to it....
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
Rod Jurich
Contributor
andyro wrote:
Rod, is this TW or SOLO where you don't see the setout data?? ............
Andy, I'm a sole practice. And it would happen when wanting to go back and edit. As I said before, for what ever reason it is working at the moment.

There are other items that Cadimage are addressing presently. And hopfully will have answers maybe later next week.

But I concur with Tom W comments. I haven't commited to a serious project yet.

I am trying for the umpteenth time to find good reason to use it. Schedules is one. But that's about all.
I can use my own w/ds for almost all my commercial/residential work.

My biggest beef is hidden scripts. They are trying to be all things for everybody and local conditions vary.
If they were not hidden I am certain, I and a few other local users would take advantage of me tweeking their parts.

Finally it really irritates me to have a 3rd party interfere with my layers.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Rod wrote:
Finally it really irritates me to have a 3rd party interfere with my layers.
Absolutely, not to mention fills, linetypes and whatever else. It should be 'illegal' - GS needs to take a stand on this... also, there is questionable activity in the ArchiCad Data folder that does not get purged/cleared.
Director
Rod Jurich
Contributor
andyro wrote:
/.......
Absolutely, not to mention fills, linetypes and whatever else. It should be 'illegal' - GS needs to take a stand on this... ...........
As it happens with this short break, I thought I'd revisit Cadimage Cabinet Builder for 10. I could not believe that after loading that library

all my composite wall contour lines took on the properties of their imported lines

In this case all solid lines were changed to their line named Contour Line which oddly is a short hatched line. Go figure!!

Waiting for their response You know where that library went

I am utterly convinced that these programers are very clever, but have little day to day knowledge/appreciation of how time consuming/difficult their products are to use.
I still have my running battle with one of our local people, but at least I have access to scripts to enable me to improve functionality.

Sorry Andy, turned into a bit of a rant
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Rod wrote:
Sorry Andy, turned into a bit of a rant
Such rants need be public, otherwise other poor suckers will stumble onto these problems unawares. It is vital information that hopefully will result in swift remedies. Yes, I am the eternal optimist.
Director