Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Teamwork and the Administrator Password

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
How protective of the Administrator Password should I be? I've kept it guarded for quite a while, not knowing what the repercussions could be -- but it's become an issue lately with people getting locked out of Teamwork at 3:00 in the morning (or some other inconvenient time when I'm not available).

We work on fairly large projects, with anywhere from 3 to 8 team mates per project. Currently, the Team Leader password is known to all and we have not had issue with that (individual team mates do not have passwords).

Thanks, LJY.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
5 REPLIES 5
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hi Laura

I personally think the Administrator password is over-rated. I always shared the password with my teammates, but then I really trusted them not to screw everything up. I guess it comes down to how much you trust your staff.

Maybe let them know on a trial basis? You can always change it if things don't work out. The bigger issue is why they are being locked out - especially at 3am!

Cheers,
Link.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Link wrote:
The bigger issue is why they are being locked out - especially at 3am!
No kidding! Our network has been a bit sluggish at times since "they" (IT) started consolidating the servers. I suspect that at some point the connection to the network is lost, resulting in TW crashes almost daily. Since I'm not really IT-savy, that problem is in "their" hands...
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Is everyone saving and working on local drafts (plc's)? That should at least shrink the window of opportunity to send/receives.

Cheers,
Link.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Link wrote:
Is everyone saving and working on local drafts (plc's)? That should at least shrink the window of opportunity to send/receives.
YES! And saving often (or so they are told)...
TomWaltz
Participant
Do you know how paranoid I get about people saying they are having problems with "TW"? 😉

Personally, I've always made those passwords be the job number. I figure the people who know enough to sign in as Team Leader and actually change an attribute or two probably can be trusted enough not to break anything too badly.

I've used PLCs quite a bit. It cuts down a lot on both Send/Receive and on Sign in/Change Workspaces since people tend to keep the same areas of the building on a project.
Tom Waltz