Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Teamwork file on two computers

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've have several instances where I am working on a teamwork file from my home computer (logged in via VPN and my teamwork username), have released all, sent changes, then when I log into my office computer and open the teamwork, the below message appears

This happens regularly to multiple users but definitely all changes have been sent prior to closing the file from the previous computer. Is this a bug?
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
I don't use teamwork so I may be wrong here.
However, it seems like a similar message as when you try to open a non-teamwork file that is already open.

I know the whole reason for teamwork is that multiple users can open the same file at the same time.
But is it a case that you have not closed the file on your home machine - i.e. it still assumes it is being edited by you.
You then try to log in at work as the same user which is causing the problem?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry. the file is definitely closed on the home machine, and prior to it closing, all changes sent & released all
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hello Benjamin,

This is a genereic warning in ARCHICAD Teamwork, with the simple reason that it is not really recommended to regularly switch between computers with the same user - project combo.

Data integrity is the most crucial thing while you work in Teamwork. ARCHICAD checks regularly if there are any unsent changes - compares your local data with the database the BIMcloud Server has. What it cannot do is to remember and tell for sure, if you really sent everything to the Server. So when you switch between computers, the current ARCHICAD has no clue what you did on the other computer. There is no such database which would know "yeah, this user was careful enough, they sent up everything, released what was necessary, nothing else to do here". It is not something predictable.

However, you can go this way, and work from different computers, and if you are careful, you most probably won't have issues, but you cannot skip this message.

Kind regards,

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good to know, thank you!

The reason why this situation is happening is because of part time working from home (E.g. they work from home a few days, then come to the office a few days). They have a desktop tower at home and hot desks at work (not feasible to move the tower back and forth)
Barry Kelly
Is it possible/feasible to set up two users profiles for each person?
One for 'user_home' and another for 'user_work'.
That way teamwork will think there are two different users working on the file.

So long as changes are sent and received and all is released when changing locations it should work?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
And I think the Travel Pack feature of Teamwork may also be used for such scenarios.
Not as flexible as creating two users as suggested by Barry, though.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin
Probably having 2 users would not solve the issue - you need to reserve everything again, and it is easy to forget to release all when you switch between computers.

About Travel Pack - I don't recommend to use it, the content will go offline, it was created for a different purpose back in time.

For such case, there's no better option than being careful and accepting the warning message will appear every time you switch between computers.

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

Jimmy
Contributor

Does anyone know if this issue will be looked at in the upcoming 26 release ?

There must be more AC users that switch between computers that use teamwork. It's kind of important when planning office equipment purchases. 

That is no issue at all. It is just letting you know that your user will start accessing and modifying that tw file from this other computer, so any unsent changes (which the server has no way of knowing about) by this user (which strictly speaking may have been you or someone else) on the previous computer will be lost. Everything is fine, and actually it is a very nice, thoughtful warning.