Collaborate forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Template file size too big

jl_lt
Contributor
Hi guys! each time we finish a project we take what might be used in the future and put in the template. But in this last project we made a complete revamp of our layer combinations, layers, pen sets graphich overrides, and material names, and layouts and a lot of stuff really. So basically this new project becomes the new template. The problem is i cant get the template file below 600mb .

Any ideas on how to reduce the file size? last resourse of course is start from scratch, but takes days to finish this kind of stuff

thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

runxel
Mentor
Any chance the project is full with textures and objects in the embedded library?
AC 24 [ger] | Win 10 | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

Sjuzi
Newcomer
Yes I have the same problem. I did create new materials and all textures are in embedded library. Is there any way to move it to Archicad library or how can I fix it? Please help

Barry Kelly
Moderator
Sjuzi wrote:
Yes I have the same problem. I did create new materials and all textures are in embedded library. Is there any way to move it to Archicad library or how can I fix it? Please help
In the Library Manager you will see there is an 'export selected library items into local folder'.
Once you have exported them, you can load that folder as a linked library and delete the files from the embedded library so you don't have duplicates.


Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

Sjuzi
Newcomer
Yes I got it, I created new .lcf file and now it is just linked as a new part of library. Thanks

jl_lt
Contributor
runxel wrote:
Any chance the project is full with textures and objects in the embedded library?
Hi! We dont have that many objects in the embedded library and dont use custom textures

jl_lt
Contributor
Barry wrote:
Sjuzi wrote:
Yes I have the same problem. I did create new materials and all textures are in embedded library. Is there any way to move it to Archicad library or how can I fix it? Please help
In the Library Manager you will see there is an 'export selected library items into local folder'.
Once you have exported them, you can load that folder as a linked library and delete the files from the embedded library so you don't have duplicates.


Barry.
Thank Barry, we´ll try that

Erwin Edel
Mentor
Do you have a lot 'standard' detail drawings added? Embedded PDF files on layouts? Images (figure tool) placed anywhere?

Our template is about 40 MB, so 600 MB seems excessive.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-24 NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Nguyen Minh
Graphisoft Moderator
Graphisoft Moderator
jl_lt wrote:
Hi guys! each time we finish a project we take what might be used in the future and put in the template. But in this last project we made a complete revamp of our layer combinations, layers, pen sets graphich overrides, and material names, and layouts and a lot of stuff really. So basically this new project becomes the new template. The problem is i cant get the template file below 600mb .

Any ideas on how to reduce the file size? last resourse of course is start from scratch, but takes days to finish this kind of stuff

thanks!
Hello,

Thank you very much for the question! This is an interesting topic!

I am writing an article about reducing file size and what contributes to the increase in size. I'm wondering if you can share with me the template for in-house testing? It would be a huge help for me in making this article.
Please let me know if you need a secure place to upload the file also.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

RandyC
Booster
I have files being produced now at 2.4 gig. per file.
So I went in and removed all the libraries ( except Archicad 25 library and embeded )
I removed all floor plans , all elevations and sections , anything I could think of and
saved the file the new file with nothing in it is now 2.398 gig.
I have no idea what is doing this but my hard drive is filling up fast and I have done
a lot of work on a townhouse that I want to recover

The file is here if anyone can download and let me know what is happening.

http://westcoastdesign.quickconnect.to/d/s/kxp031FnQkQZt6tXi6KQ0emoEwxAZURx/8ck3fPwyMUj4cGNAMucmo1jb...
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 25 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9

RandyC
Booster
Tried a file repair - and although Archicad took some time to repair
the file size remains the same
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 25 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9

Barry Kelly
Moderator
Seems this may be a problem.
Be sure to report it to your local support people.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=74111

A bit of a worry as I am looking at rolling 25 out very soon.
So far my 25 template (based on my 24 template) has not increased in size.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!