Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Thanks GRAPHISOFT and TEAM

ares997
Contributor
I justed wanted to say thanks for all the changes that you have made in the upcoming release. This is a truly unique and magical moment for the design industry as we know it. There are a lot of changes, and some of which are going to revolutionize the industry that we know today into something much more powerful that we could have ever imagined (some of us at least).

The DELTA SERVER is truly going to enhance our industry by leaps and bounds.

The 64-bit machine is another great feature, and hopefully the MAC version will hit the streets, along with the MAC VBE version as well.

The angled slab is cool, the walls with insulation helps.

Though I just wanted point again the DELTA SERVER patented technology is truly amazing, and totally understandable in many ways. This is going to change the face of the design industry. This is probably the most sustainable technological design for the building industry to date. Imagine we don't have to go to an office everyday, we don't have to spend $10k's of advanced hardware on our severs to get then to catch up to our 100mb file transfers while in Archicad. This is truly one of the most amazing and long awaited changes. I can remember working with a team, one in Montana, another in aspen, another in Vancouver, one in LA, one on the east cost, all on the same project, and how hard it was as a team leader to get stuff ready to go initially. That 8 hours of set-up is now gone, the delays in transferring files are gone.

This is our software. This is our time. Archicad'ers need to stand up right now and make some noise about this. The evolution of our software has finally taken the wind out of AUTODESK's #adsk sails/sales. As of yesterday #adsk stocks tumbled on the release of #ac13, the #deltaserver, #graphisoft's new website. This is the time where we need to write our hearts out and put it on the web; in our blogs, in our articles, in our daily communications. We can now do things that have NEVER been possible in our industry since the beginning of time, since the beginning of our industry, since the first CPU's. No one has this technology, no one has the capabilities to do what we do today or tomorrow. There is nothing that is more satisfying than our newly crowned CEO and Global Marketing Director who have been with the company for a really long time, and are young like us, to make these changes.

Stop whining and start clapping your hands and making some comments about publicity about your excitement. I understand the economy is a bucket of rusty bolts, and bankers are idiots. But "our" software has just sniped the competition without even a sound, and all for us, all so that we can become the people who can band together, on any project from any corner of the world.

THIS IS IT, KIDS, We have been apart of something that rarely happens in a lifetime, something that is going to change everything. In 20 years I think it will more clear to most of you owners who always have something stupid to say about the software that you invested in.

THANKS GRAPHISOFT TEAM! THANK YOU!
Archicad 25 (5005), Windows 11, AMD RYZEN 7 3900 (64 GB RAM)
23 REPLIES 23
Karl Barker
Participant
I have to agree.
TW2 could be a godsend for those small firms.
It will allow us to band together with other like minded small firms to bid for those bigger jobs that we would have to hire too many new staff for. We can also be from different cities and still work on the same projects.

Team it up with a session on ichat, and hey presto, we are all in the same office working on the same project.

Who would want to work in a big firm anyway?
too much politics.
Cheers,
Karl Barker.

27" iMac 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i9
32 Gig Ram
Mac OSX 10.14.6
AC 5.5 - AC22 (NZE)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
I have to agree.
TW2 could be a godsend for those small firms.
It will allow us to band together with other like minded small firms to bid for those bigger jobs that we would have to hire too many new staff for. We can also be from different cities and still work on the same projects.

Team it up with a session on ichat, and hey presto, we are all in the same office working on the same project.

Who would want to work in a big firm anyway?
too much politics.
Well said. Imagine a load of complaints that some guy named Mark Zuckerberg just launched a product that ONLY lets people connect with one another.
Seriously, ArchiCAD just got social
Guaranteed, if architects were as common as bloggers TW2 would start a whole ecosystem of collaboration-based startups. Perhaps the admin here could start a 'TW2.0' forum with a database of individuals and small companies that are up for collaboration ... profile, skills, groups, friends, recommendations ... click (yes it would help me work with others, get work and hire, but you too!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Amonie:

Thanks for helping our other colleagues see the vision of the BIM Server. One of the big problems here is that folks are seeing it just as a Teamwork upgrade...it is actually not! It is a new way of PRACTICING ARCHITECTURE. It is true BIM, not piecemeal BIM or kinda BIM, but REAL-TIME collaboration and we ALL need to collaborate, even the sole practitioner, even the little fish.

I see so many colleagues here saying: "I am a one man/woman show and I don't need Teamwork" or "I'll never use Teamwork." Believe me, once you get beyond your associations with the old concept of Teamwork (that is step one), then you will begin to see what Amonie, ares997, and others are seeing...a whole new way of practicing (step two and beyond)! Even sole partitioners have to collaborate with consulting engineers and their clients. What's more, they often collaborate with larger firms or join forces to get bigger projects than they could handle by only working alone.

For the time being, lets forget about the word Teamwork...lets call it the "real-time BIM Collaboration Engine." Imagine all project members working IN the model at the same time with NO real downside, only upside. Get your consulting engineers on board with ArchiCAD. Remember, you are the ones that bring them the jobs and let them know in the future you want to work with firms that truly want to work collaboratively. If they want the work (and who doesn't right now) all the have to do is learn something new and exciting called ArchiCAD. It just might change their life...it certainly will change yours and the way you work...for the better.

In fact, leverage the recession. Let folks know that if they want to work for you, they have to learn a new way of doing things (in other economic times they might have passed on learning something new because they were so busy anyway). If that means learning a new software program, most will, because they want to work and need to eat. Let them start with a Pay Per Use key or loan them one of yours if they don't have the money. We're talking REAL competitive advantage here. Now is the time to LEAD your consultant colleagues into the realm of real collaboration.

Like Amonie says, think about collaboration with other ArchiCAD architects to win more jobs or creating small offices that live BIG and run circles around the BIM guys...yes that's you, little fish, being able to compete and win jobs from the BIG fish.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Woops, in my previous post, I said: "creating small offices that live BIG and run circles around the BIM guys..." but meant to say: "Run circles around the BIG guys."

Go, little fish! Swim in the deep waters and eat them BIG fish!

John
Anonymous
Not applicable
LOL

I think that GS team did great job LOOOOL...now i can easy do facade work on my ac12 (paint, model etc), i can model shapes, materials works much better....Opengl works better and graphic display look super, grid tool works flawlessly, finaly STAIRS works as they supose to work, boolean operation represented in 2D window, contestual menu to assign one material for any face of construction elements, native rotation on XYZ, edit in elevation, roof-like End angle control for Beams etc etc.... Its really good that GS listen users of AC and now i can work as i supose to work....

Now we can all work together

You can write what ever u want but this AC13 sux and there is nothing that u done to improve workflow of modeling . . . ohh yes, i can slant angle of Slab/Roof (n.1 wish of ac users ) and i have now Intelligent “Soft” Insulation (n.2 wish of ac users:))

I think that Ac14 should go to 128 bit, i really need it

image under showes just one page of our wishes and what we need and what we didnt get (ok, we get little )

till AC14, happy modeling !

owen
Newcomer
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:
I think that Ac14 should go to 128 bit, i really need it
If you want truly freeform modeling tools and not some hatchet job, boolean operations shown in plan views, etc then I would almost guarantee you that the 32bit 4GB (3GB on Windows) limit will start to become a problem.

Put the foundations in place before you try to build something you don't want falling down. Can you imagine the complaints if they introduce all these new tools and the performance goes to shit because the software still can't take advantage of current and future systems.

That is the reason 64bit is important.

ArchiCAD needs a good 'Snow Leopard' version. No New Features. Concentrate on overhauling the codebase, fixing the bugs and preparing the road ahead.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
i will not disagree that to go to freeform modelling you need more memory, so 64bit portability would pay for sure BUT

1) There are really many more things to be done before free modelling (even basic ones like the material editor i really hate and changing a material on the fly is not possible even now!!, horrible).

2) There are alot of other strategic moves that should be done BUT features should go along as well.

For example, GDL is old. Very old , not interactive , limited, difficult to maintain... A modern scripting environment is MANDATORY and that would be a strategic move BUT you cannot go out with a new version with just the new GDL, even if this is groundbraking. Strategic moves are to pay in the long run. You do them to be there for a long time.

So yes 64bits is a strategic (and pretty much forced) move. But i do not consider this a feature. This is an obligatory step for GS to keep its product alive. For example imagine we have a new OS, that is completely incompatible with current system so GS has to port to the new one. Is this a new feature? No its mandatory to keep the business going.

Anyway. If i was using TW i would be very happy with 13. Now i really feel i have been ripped off. I will get a completely useless piece of software upgrade. there is 0% probability i would use TW and 0% i would ever reach 4GB ram limit with AC13.

Anyway... there are a lot of fanboys here, that do not understand that for us (single users) this upgrade means nothing (the other guy says ... i would pay 600$ to have the insulation feature....hey man... you really dont know ***** about what costs what. If we had a decent scripting system, you could pay a programmer to do this and 20 more customizations with the same amount of money and it would be just for you. The other features (excluding 64bit and TW2) are really few days work to do. It makes me think that GS is not making a proper scripting environment , like ruby for sketchup, because then many features in the wish list would be actually made from the users...)
Anonymous
Not applicable
oreopoulos wrote:
Anyway... there are a lot of fanboys here, that do not understand that for us (single users) this upgrade means nothing (the other guy says ... i would pay 600$ to have the insulation feature....hey man... you really dont know ***** about what costs what. If we had a decent scripting system, you could pay a programmer to do this and 20 more customizations with the same amount of money and it would be just for you. The other features (excluding 64bit and TW2) are really few days work to do. It makes me think that GS is not making a proper scripting environment , like ruby for sketchup, because then many features in the wish list would be actually made from the users...)
Hey, there's no need to take that attitude with me, Oreopoulos. You clearly don't know **** about how much work is involved in programming those features! £500/$600 doesn't really get you very much in this world anymore! I said it before, if you save 5-10 minutes of time each day just with the new features you'll get your money back over a year. I agree it's a shame there are no massive new productivity based features this year, but I still think all the little enhancements add up to a decent release regardless.

In case you're interested I am also a 'single user' like you, so please don't think I can't see your point of view. But instead of ranting on here about how you are definitely not going to use any of the new features, why don't you wait until it is released and actually try using it for a while, rather than guessing how useful something will be from a brief description written on a website!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Hey, there's no need to take that attitude with me, Oreopoulos. You clearly don't know **** about how much work is involved in programming those features!
Let me tell you. I am 39, programming since a kid, in every possible computer lang you can imagine, from high level , to low level. My education may be only math degree and engineering, but i surely know what is involved in programming those things. For example rotate view is kids work (if the program is well organized). Auto dimensioning doors? please dont make me laugh.

64bits , multicore (if done properly and not just optimizing the loops) and TW2 require serious work. The other features are for kids.

Anyway, give as at last a decent scripting lang like Ruby with database support and you will see what can be done.
Anonymous
Not applicable
oreopoulos wrote:
Peter wrote:
Hey, there's no need to take that attitude with me, Oreopoulos. You clearly don't know **** about how much work is involved in programming those features!
Let me tell you. I am 39, programming since a kid, in every possible computer lang you can imagine, from high level , to low level. My education may be only math degree and engineering, but i surely know what is involved in programming those things. For example rotate view is kids work (if the program is well organized). Auto dimensioning doors? please dont make me laugh.

64bits , multicore (if done properly and not just optimizing the loops) and TW2 require serious work. The other features are for kids.

Anyway, give as at last a decent scripting lang like Ruby with database support and you will see what can be done.
Hey, it sounds like you have plenty of experience in programming! I still think you are underestimating just a touch the work that needed to be done, but I guess we'll never know!

Just curious and completely off-topic, but why did you choose architecture instead of programming? I wouldn't have thought the skillset easily tranfered between the two?