BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

The Little Things - Live properties palette

gavinNZz
Advocate
Is there a way in which I can display the AC properties and classifications for a selected element in a 'live' floating palette?

Currently these are accessed through the selection settings or through the info box but jumping in and out of those windows becomes a little tedious when you are just wanting to select properties.

Given the importance placed on the properties and its associated expression functionality by GS, I don't understand why it it not provided to the user in a more accessible way.

If the the property manager window was a live palette and only showed the properties assigned to the selected element that would be a good start. Having access to the expression builder within the palette would also be helpful.

Thanks
Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
5 REPLIES 5
fuzzytnth3
Booster
I would just place a label using auto text to display those settings you want the info to show. You could even use "Label Selected" command to label everything. You can then delete the labels when you are done checking. The other way would be to use a Schedule
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
gavinNZz
Advocate
fuzzytnth3 wrote:
I would just place a label using auto text to display those settings you want the info to show. You could even use "Label Selected" command to label everything. You can then delete the labels when you are done checking. The other way would be to use a Schedule
Thanks for the feedback. A live palette would be more about making property selections as opposed to just reviewing/reviewing the properties assigned. A schedule does allow propoerty selection but requires the opening of another window/view so the direct reference to the object that is being adjusted is visually lost.
Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Sounds like you are asking for a new feature, there is the 'wishes' section for that on the forum (don't hold your breath until it comes true!).

In the meantime fuzzytnth3 posted a workaround and I don't think you'll find a better current solution.

We use schedules to check properties and classifications too. With the right setup and order of information (layers, properties, classification) it is possible to quickly spot mistakes. Having favourites for commonly used elements and using those as much as possible (also as a starting point for something similar, but a bit different) helps greatly with reducing mistakes in classification. It does make initial design slower, but BIM seems to be a lot about up front time investment in early design stages.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Isn't the Element Information palette what you're looking for? Although I'm not quite sure what do you mean by property "selections".

I personally also use schedules for checking properties. There, you always have the possibility to select the element on floor plan or in 3D when unsure what it is.

Or if you want to see your assigned properties visually very clear on a plan (for example fire rating for walls), you might give Graphic Overrides a try and set up a few Graphic Override Rules which are going to display your elements in different colors for example for each property/classification.
Takes some time to set up, but can be reused on later projects and it's visually very clear.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We've set up the most commonly used (asked for) classifications / properties in our favourites in template. By starting with those we'll have most of the basic things (load bearing, position, element classification, national classification system) roughly in place.

We then have a schedule to show layer, element ID and the needed classification. We use headlines for the layer since the layer numbering follows the first 2 digits of the classification system most used. So it is easy to spot wrong combination.

Merge similar items to quickly change multiple settings.

It does require some work and manual checking.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!