Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

The Parasolid Engine and Vectorworks 2009

This was one of the threads deleted last weekend and not restored. Starting again.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
18 REPLIES 18
stefan
Expert
Currently, many of the parametric offerings (Pro/Engineer, SolidWorks, Inventor etc) are using the same ideas and (sometimes) the same modeling kernel. The other large one being ACIS from Spatial.
But many companies have now also embraced other modeling systems (be buying competitors), which are not history-based.
They seem to understand that a history-based approach does not fit all scenarios.
http://www.evanyares.com/the-cad-industry/2008/9/26/parametric-technology-corp-on-the-advantages-of-...

In that sense, VectorWorks has always tried to by hybrid: offering 2D drafting AND 3D modeling, but largely independent of eachother. They do something similar with their approach to BIM: we provide possibilities, but you don't have to use them. You can not go pure 2D in ArchiCAD or Revit, without real loss of productivity.
[Well, some people do this, similar as AutoCAD Architecture users using it as a 2D drafting tool, with just somehow easier ways to insert windows into walls, but ignoring the 3D part of the equation.]

So they might have a winning combination of flexibility that ArchiCAD and Revit can not offer.

But please beware, VectorWorks did use an existing kernel before switching to Parasolid (IntegrityWare's Solids ++). So it's only switching one for the other.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since this post was started I've been able to talk to Biplab and Sean at Nemetschek about where they are heading. And indeed, incorporating Parasolid gives VW a whole new set of capabilities that they are only beginning to plumb.

The trick for NNA is -- some people won't use VW because it's not "BIM enough"; it's not a model-centric product. And then others (like some local VW users I know) think BIM is simply not going to ever work for them, and buying a new version of VW is not likely to happen. VW, like ADT/AA, allows users to have your feet in both the CAD and BIM worlds, but I would like to see VW become model-centric because it would give a BIM junkie like myself another app to use/recommend to other current or would-be BIM junkies.

And really (not to refute Stefan here) you could do everything in Revit in 2D -- the 2D tools would by all means allows this -- but nobody wants to do that after dropping $5k on the software. This is why people throw away Revit: they can't figure out how to do something, so they bail and go back to CAD without even trying to just draft it in 2D! I don't think this workaround even occurs to frustrated Revit newbies 😉

I find it to be a major marvel that NNA could go down to "Complicated3DSoftwareTools 'r Us" and pick up a geometry kernel and a parametrics engine and plug it into their code base. And here's hoping they do great things with VW, 'cause you know, they're huge in Japan 😄

(For most people, they say "I'm huge in Japan" as a joke -- but for VW it's really true!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
mikem wrote:
A problem for both Archicad and Vectorworks is the lack of native structural and MEP capabilities that engineers could and would use. Allplan does have the structural capabilities.

If Archicad and AllPlan also switched to Parasolids then maybe this would provide the possibility of a common file format, or a file format that would make exchanging files between the three programs easier. It might also open the door to the sharing of content, and make providing content for the NAG programs a more attractive proposition for suppliers.

A synergy opportunity exists with the three NAG programs. my own view is that working cooperatively will ultimately be more beneficial to all three programs. Going it alone and competing with each other just doesn't seem to make sense.
Jumping in very late here - I am at this thread because of frustrations with the ArchiCAD / Cinema 4D workflow ... searching hopefully. I am on trials of both. My main targets for C4D are modeling capabilities and rendering - but only with a smooth back and forth with ArchiCAD.
Frankly I would prefer to do all my modeling in ArchiCAD with a robust 3D engine and then only go to C4D for the more presentational stuff.
I have been using vectorworks for 14 years (since the minicad days of course) and I am now looking to move over to ArchiCAD because it is a 'proper' BIM package. But I am amazed at how crap the integration is among the Nemetschek products. I chose not to upgrade to VW 2009 because it just seems that VW has miles (and years) to go before it can do BIM properly. I am a mac user so Revit and the Autodesk options are not for me but if I was on windows I can't see how I could resist.
Nemetschek needs to get some serious consolidation going to make their products work together smoothly. Biplab Sarkar's interview suggests that the VW Parasolid move was VW driven, but I hope there is more to it. Allplan/ArchiCad/Vectorworks is just too fragmented vs the huge and growing Revit base. Not enough content. Not enough of a community.
Let's at least have a route to better interoperability in AC13.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well get out your megaphone and weapons of mass destruction, because:

a) Autodesk has had enough trouble with interoperability already, and to compensate it became a dedicated task across all the products to come up with an interoperable format for data exchange between AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and Max (they call this AIRMax). As of 2010 they have a new file format (.ADSK) that provides this (and by most reports it works okay). So Nemetschek is already behind.

b) Nemetschek is behaving entirely like a holding company and not one that's much interested in taking on the big A. Autodesk is managed by people with Napoleon complexes who are motivated, organized, and want to take over the world. Be afraid.

c) Revit has become an all-in-one solution (with the exception of <cough> MEP, which is still having performance problems) and that tempts everyone to use it because of the relative ease of interoperability (though there are still problems here, let me tell you). So combined A/E firms as well as sole arch / sole eng firms look at Revit as being the more complete BIM platform.

However, you can be consoled with the haughty and heavy-handed way Autodesk treats its users. That may keep enough users out of Autodesk software to give competition more of a fighting chance << that's a free beer from AUGI, by the way
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your blunt reply. It just seems crazy to me but I suppose it ultimately depends on the culture of the place. It reminds me of Microsoft vs Sun (not Apple). It's the fight in the dog. Still hoping to be surprised though.
I will probably end up investing in Archicad because it is my only option. I guess that makes GS a lazy mac monopoly then.
Thomas Holm
Booster
aswx0 wrote:
...But I am amazed at how crap the integration is among the Nemetschek products... ... I am a mac user so Revit and the Autodesk options are not for me but if I was on windows I can't see how I could resist.
Nemetschek needs to get some serious consolidation going to make their products work together smoothly. Biplab Sarkar's interview suggests that the VW Parasolid move was VW driven, but I hope there is more to it. Allplan/ArchiCad/Vectorworks is just too fragmented vs the huge and growing Revit base. Not enough content. Not enough of a community.
Let's at least have a route to better interoperability in AC13.
Agreed one hundred percent. Archicad + Allplan (with all its applications!) + VW + C4D is an incredibly stong combo, should they work together and consolidate. I just don't know how to get the message through to Nemetschek AG.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Crazy, crazy nutters over at Nemetschek.
I have only just seen the Allplan 2009 website - great features; seems v powerful; multidisciplinary and rallying around the 'Allplan' brand (Allplan Architecture, Allplan Engineering ...). Looks like someone is taking a page out of the Autodesk playbook ... imports from Rhino ...
But wait.
Any mention of ArchiCAD > No
Vectorworks > No
C4D > No
Great that it imports from Rhino though.
I need workflow, integration and a solid industry community. It just seems incredible that Nemetschek management is getting away with this. Allplan has miniscule mindshare outside certain parts of Europe. It doesn't even have a Wikipedia Entry of its own (maybe it was rejected for being too insignificant). Do these people realise that we are trying to decide where to put our hard earned money? Successful business depends on a sound platform.
This article over at AEC Cafe just makes me wonder. They proudly note "Allplan is used strictly in Europe, Archicad competes with both Vectorworks and Allplan, Vectorworks only competes with Archicad" ... is that a strategy?
They are trying to win the egg and spoon race by standing still. This all makes me very pessimistic.
stefan
Expert
FWIW, regarding Cinema4D, they have (with various success and still many errors) plugins for VectorWorks, ArchiCAD and Allplan to render in Cinema4D.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
owen
Newcomer
stefan wrote:
FWIW, regarding Cinema4D, they have (with various success and still many errors) plugins for VectorWorks, ArchiCAD and Allplan to render in Cinema4D.
well really for all practical purposes the C4D Material Exchange plugin is broken atm (it works, just not how anyone needs it to) ... still no ETA on a fix either. Seems the Vectorworks Exchange plugin has been fixed though.

As for what Nemetschek are up to .. can really comment, i have as little idea as they do
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5