BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Thoughts on 3rd party data backup

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm mainly curious to hear people's thoughts on what the best options would be for data backup from a design standpoint. Do the 'well-known' options such as Carbonite or IDrive work just fine for the price, or is it better to vet more local companies that can offer better customer service?

Feel free to leave your comments, or, if I did it correctly, select a poll answer.

Thanks for your input.
4 REPLIES 4
Eduardo Rolon
Missing Backblaze.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

FlashGIV wrote:
I'm mainly curious to hear people's thoughts on what the best options would be for data backup from a design standpoint. Do the 'well-known' options such as Carbonite or IDrive work just fine for the price, or is it better to vet more local companies that can offer better customer service?

Feel free to leave your comments, or, if I did it correctly, select a poll answer.

Thanks for your input.
Beware of Carbonite. Many bad reviews. What people need to understand about it is that it does not archive your files. All it does is keep only the files on your computer at the time of a backup available. Don't think you can delete the files on your computer because they are redundant after you back them up on Carbonite. It doesn't work like that. All it does is dulplicate what ever files you select on your computer. Take them off of your computer and you take them off of Carbonite too. Carbonite back up is useless to archive/save your files.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

FlashGIV wrote:

Thanks for your input.
https://www.wdc.com/products/network-attached-storage.html

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Gerald Hoffman
Booster
I signed up with CrashPlan about a year ago and really think it is great. The price is very reasonable for offsite backup and it is constantly backing up files if you are on line so I have used it for going back to different versions. It has unlimited storage for the same price.

I do onsite backup on Time Capsule and a second drive in my computer as well as a backup drive on my network using GoodSync which works well. I do this once a day after I have finished and I have Time Capsule setup to backup only once at the end of the day.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Learn and get certified!