BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

[Tip] Export layer combination data

Karl Ottenstein
Someone asked me privately if there was a way to extract all of the layer settings for every layer combination in order to document all of the layer combos in an external program such as Excel or Access.

I talked about a method to do this briefly over a year ago when 8.0 first came out.

First, you must enable SQL in the Calculate menu - it is disabled by default. Open Preferences and for "Calculate menu appearance" choose "Full with SQL". You'll now have a new menu option as shown in the attached screenshot. Choosing 'Show Data Structure...' displays all of the tables and fields that can be viewed (I'm hoping there are more that are undocumented).

Choose Query and paste in the following:
SELECT FLC.NAME AS COMBINATION, LAYERS.NAME AS LAYER_NAME,
LAYERS.LOCKED, LAYERS.VISIBLE
FROM FLAT (LAYERCOMBINATIONS, LAYER_STATUS) AS FLC
INNER JOIN LAYERS ON (FLC.LAYER_STATUS.LAYER_ID = LAYERS.ID)
ORDER BY FLC.NAME, LAYERS.NAME
then click the Execute button. The result will appear in your web browser as an alphabetized table. You can save the HTML and/or paste it into Excel, etc. for further manipulation to achieve your documentation goals.

The critical part of the code above is thanks to Akos Pfemeter who in 2002 explained the key part of getting the JOIN to work via FLAT.

Note that this displays the visible and locked status of every layer for every layer combination, something not possible via Attribute Manager's Print to File command. However, it does not display layer intersection priority numbers or wireframe display status - neither of these fields is documented, but I'm hoping that they are implemented and we just need someone from GS to tell us what they are.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you want to get Intersection Priority or other information out you can click Calculate->Show Data Structure. You can then select the Layers table and get the data model.

Of course, you have to have the "Show Data Structure" tab enabled.
Karl Ottenstein
There seems to be a problem with the query given earlier in this thread:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=6914#6914
and ArchiCAD 9 build 2018. Chris Parsons wrote to me privately, and I confirmed that this query generates the same layer info for all combinations in 9. It does work fine in 8.1

(New in 9 are the intersection priority and wireframe values, but they show the same values for all combinations.)

I've reported the issue to GS for investigation.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!