Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Total Area of Zone Category

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I've used Archicad-talk as a reference for many years now but this is the first time posting, so be kind!

I have a drawing set up with zones of multiple categories and a schedule listing those zones accordingly.

However, the issue I am having is in some instances i would like to have more then one zone of particular category but not have it show up in multiple instances on my schedule.

Instead i would prefer that only the total area for all zones of each category is shown, is this possible?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Like this? (check attached image).

I also checked the Merge Uniform Items checkbox.

However, this raised a question in me. The Merge Uniform Items checkbox doesn't consider items with different Calculated Areas or Measured Areas to be different and will unify them into a single row. In the attached screenshot, those are 9 Zones, 3, 2 and 4 of each category, respectively. Each Zone has a different Calculated Area, yet the Merge Uniform Items checkbox groups them into 3 rows. So I can only conclude that the Calculated Area and Measured Area fields are not considered by it.

I can imagine this to be the case ( I checked back in AC12, even then it worked like this) since the areas of very few Zones is ever exactly the same, but I could not find any info about this in HelpCenter.
Can anyone confirm this?
Zone-CalculatedAreabyZoneCategories.png
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Laszlo!

You have no idea how embarrassed I am, i knew it would be as simple as a check box but I was looking in the zone parameters not the schedule!

This is amazing, and will help me immensely!

Thanks again
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Don't feel bad about it.
If you want to know the truth, it took me about 8-10 minutes to figure this out.
It looks so easy when one sees it, but to think simple enough sometimes takes some effort on our part.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Agreed!

Now, having implemented the combined zones, which is working great, i've run into a new problem!

I have a gross zone area, a rectangle, and subsequently multiple zones within it that comprise the large rectangular zone.

When I tabulate it in a schedule, it has the large zone (100%) and then the other multiple zones below it combing for another 100% which means in my total calculation it effectively shows all zones combined, equalling 200%!

I want to show the large zone, 100% in my schedule, but i do not want it to be added in my total calculation, is this possible?
Area totals.jpg
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sorry, I can't think of any way to achieve that result.
If anyone has any ideas, please chime in.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Give it a try,
put the zones on different layers and put a layer filter criteria in the schedule.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Ilder, that won't work because then the "A-Site Area" zone will not appear on the schedule at all.
ElementalBD wants it to appear on the schedule as shown in the image, but doesn't want it to be considered for the Grand Total of the Area and Percentage columns.
So in the Percentage column he wants to see 100,0%, not 199,9%.
DGSketcher
Legend
This looks like a presentation problem rather than AC. Surely the gross area just needs omitted and the totals row labelled as Site Area? The table doesn't make sense as it is currently set out.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I got in contact with an ArchiCAD Product Designer and I was told that Schedule Fields indeed belong to one of two categories when the program decided whether Schedule items are uniform or not.
In this regard, there are core data and derived data. Derived data are those kinds of schedule fields that are derived from the geometry and parameters of the element. These include volumes, surface areas, or in case of Zones, measured and calculated areas. Everything else that usually the user specifies is core data.
So the Merge Uniform Items checkbox considers only core data when deciding whether scheduled items are unique or not.

This information will also be incorporated into the Help files.