Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Translator bug in 8.1?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I submitted a reply to another thread, but feel I need to start a new one on this topic. I am having trouble importing DXF files into AC 8.1 from Maya. I was able to do this with relatively no problems in AC 8, but after a fresh install of 8.1, SOME of my models will import into AC without problems, and some will not, with the same translator. Anyone have any info on this, or maybe a workaround?
23 REPLIES 23
Dwight
Newcomer
The metal candle holders can easily be done using Profiler and a bit of GDL - to stand them up. Or ArchiForma that will stand stand the parts up just fine. Nice image. Pass the Mead.

The curly bits on the glass - that is tricky in ArchiCAD - Perhaps you should take this kind of craft up during your ninety day sentence in taste jail. Very delicate - A good rule for computer modeling is never make anything that wouldn't survive a bar fight. Good colors in the image.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
well, the actual designs arent mine, im just supplying perspectives, and technical drawings, to be sent to the manufacturer, the designs are from my sister and i'd tell her about the taste comment but she's a little sensitive and might kick my ....
Anonymous
Not applicable
smaller items like these, i am very comfortable modeling in Maya, it's the translation im worried about, to provide the tech drawings
Dwight
Newcomer
Swell - how would they be manufacturing the curly bits? Is it CNC? Probably not. Wire bent in a jig? I see the wire bits being made in flat components and being wrapped around a tapered cylinder. In this case, you'd be needing a flat template. Can Maya unwrap the curved elements?

A set of working drawings for this would be some patterns for the wire workers.

Or casting in one piece - the bits seem a little thin for that.....

It seems that describing these crafts for the workers needs simple orthographic drawings of the elements and a perspective to indicate assembly - weld points, perhaps.

Or am I barking up the wrong skirt?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
well,
i didnt think i was going to get into the manufacturing process of candle holders when i started this thread, . 3-5 mm thick round or flat stock is bent around a pivot point that is mathematically computed by the factory.
The drawings are pretty straight forward, take the candle holder for example, i take one of the legs in side view, give the critical numbers, and somebody at the plant creates a template based on the one leg, and presto.
Items,such as the metal wire glass, get a lot more complex, and i really dont have the time to explain, but it takes MUCH more time to provide the drawings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight,

I tried all you mentioned, except to make sure i checked solid model in GDL, i wasn't sure where to look for that option. but i did everything else, and i still have a wiremesh in shaded mode.
when i select the object, and go into the object selection settings, what do the TRAFO3D stand for? obviously the only parameter i can change is length, height, and width?
Dwight
Newcomer
MODEL SOLID is a GDL command that you add to the script.

Send it to me at

dwight_atkinson@telus.net

We'll see what we can do.
If anything.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
Dwight wrote:
Swell - how would they be manufacturing the curly bits? Is it CNC? Probably not. Wire bent in a jig? I see the wire bits being made in flat components and being wrapped around a tapered cylinder. In this case, you'd be needing a flat template. Can Maya unwrap the curved elements?
Don't know abot Maya, but GDL can - BWall is not the most obvious or easiest thing to use, BUT you have to do just what Dwight said - provide a flat template for bending with a single radius.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanx for all you input, its appreciated

how do you mean send you the file? which file are you talking about?
Dwight
Newcomer
I referred to the DXF export file - just wanted to see the script and whether or not I could use GDL to make the wireframe solid......
Dwight Atkinson