BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Truss Plans

I want this for ArchiCAD ! Don't make me use that other program!

http://tools4revit.cadtrainingonline.com/tools4revit_truss.html

And it does structural analysis very easialy, exports the profiles with reactions...
Almost as good as having MiTek, Alpine...something like that. And I am sure there must be a great extension for wall panels too. ?

Is there anything like this for ArchiCAD ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have heard it is full of problems & does not work very well at all
I wouldn't need it if I could find some MiTek/Sapphire expert who would make the truss and wall panel plans form my projects with out having to also purchase the trusses and lumber form them.

You can't typically pay them to to design the trusses with out an agreement to buy them becasue the software is never privatly owned. You can only have access to it if your a truss manufacture.

I am looking for someone who will do it with out MiTek knowing about it.
I am not sure that is possible. They are no doubt unauthorised to use the progam with out the strings attached.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Make a wish for 19!
25 perhaps.

why can't MITEK save a file from the trips manufacturer as IFC?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
They can save the file in many useful formats, but they won't let you have it.
The geometry is not the isssue. It's the engineering that goes with it that makes it useful. Some of the manufactures will part with .dwg's or .dxf if you press them. But now that we can explode .pdf's it is all the same to me.

I set the slab for 1 1/2" deep and use the magic wand to get the the precise truss profiles. Usually only one trusss where it would show up in the section.

The problme is that by the time I can get the data from the engineered trusses plans it is usually too late to do me any good. I will have already guestimated the loads and finished the plans.

Anonymous
Not applicable
LOL, I use the other program .
As for IFC support in analysis programs, it doesnt work I suggest you give it a try. The best you can hope for is what we already do now. Steps
1. Model the simplified truss convert to DWG lines connected at nodes
2. Export and Import into analysis program, apply material and engineering properties, connections/fixities, Load combinations,etc
3. Most analysis programs require the user to be engineers and for the occasional user it isnt worth the cost/effort.
4.There is a trend towards simplified vertical intergration and apps. This allows the engineer to solve the complex design problem (eg truss and composite concrete slab) and generate a simplified cloud based app that can be passed down the line for other users to use.
Advantages of item 4 above.
1.Subscription pay as you use
2.Browser, multiprocessing and cloud based
3.Apps can be tailored to specific clients from designers,manufacturers to clients/end users
4.You can couple multiphysics simulations, so for the composite slab example above you can couple, thermal and acoustic etc,etc
5.No need to wait for software programers and the development cycle
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve,

wouldn't your structural engineering consultant be designing the trusses? Then you would just need to reference their IFC model / drawings into the AC model.
I can understand a manufacturer / supplier not wanting to do the design without an agreement in place, how often do you give away your work for someone to use as they please but still make you legally responsible of something goes wrong?

Scott

ps: DesignEngineerBIM why do you start all your posts with LOL? There is nothing to 'Laugh Out Loud' about any of your posts
Anonymous
Not applicable
sboydturner wrote:
ps: DesignEngineerBIM why do you start all your posts with LOL? There is nothing to 'Laugh Out Loud' about any of your posts
Well I see the funny side (you obviously don't) so I suggest try using the other program and post back listing all the problems ...
I am offering solutions tho,that my clients love, times are changing and AC needs to grow its user base.
Learn and get certified!