Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Using Renovation Filters for Existing Objects that are to move

ClaytonHakes
Contributor

Hi All,

This is a problem that I've run into time and time again in my first 4 months using Archicad. How do you move something that is existing, keeping it in it's original location in the "Existing" renovation filter?

For instance, right now I'm working on a house that is likely going to be raised 1-2 feet. Yes, I could pin the existing floor and copy it + pin that copy to the new filter, but then my story settings are all messed up.

The height of this is likely to change a few times throughout the design process, so I need a solution that allows me to work fluidly rather than tear down and rebuild with pinning all of the time.

Is there any feature to do this? If not, pls work on this Graphisoft.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

Wouldn't you just copy the 'existing' plan, move it up 2 feet and then change it all to 'new'?

I know technically it is not new, but as far as Archicad is concerned, it is in a new position.

This will allow you to swap between the existing and new models, and if the height is to change, you just amend the new items.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

hmmm -- it almost seems like you'll have to create a different workflow, only because you have a Proposed model that is almost entirely different to the Existing model -- all because of the height change.

this is very much a work-around & has its own workflow.

TL;DR This'll be a combination of Hotlink Modulling & Renovation filters.

i'd approach the entire house the same way i approach multi-storey buildings. all your Existing & Demolition modelling work is done in the Hotlink stories & your Proposed model in the active stories. Hotlink stories are stories that are far above or far below your typical storey. we generally have them from -20 & below. Active Stories are basically your typical modelling stories. -- basement, ground & upper stories, etc.

say for example, i'd have your Hotlink storey at -20. put all your existing & demolition models in this -20 storey. assign the elements in their respective Renovation statuses (Existing / Demolition).

Export the entire storey as a module file (.MOD). make sure to make everything visible. don't use renovation filters that hide any elements just because they're Existing or Demolition. create 2 Hotlink Master Layers (one for Existing & another for Proposed).

Place one Hotlink Module in the Active Storey using the Existing Master Layer at storey 0.ground. This is your Existing model. Save the view with the Existing layer combo & Existing Renovation filters / Graphic Overrides.

Place another Hotlink Module in the same Active Storey now using the Proposed Master Layer at storey 0.ground + 2 feet. Save the view with the Proposed layer combo & Proposed Renovation filters / Graphic Overrides.

when you're ready to place new elements (doors/windows/walls/bathrooms etc) put them all in the respective Reno filter in the Active storey at the correct elevation (+2 feet).

When you're adding notes/documentation to the Existing / Demotion / Proposed views, put them all in the Active stories -- not in the Hotlink storey. FYI -- you'll technically be tagging different elements between the Existing & Proposed modules but they all come from the one source -- the Hotlink Storey. any change you need to make -- whether to add more stuff for Demolition, adjust it in the Hotlink Storey & see it reflected in both the Existing & Proposed models ready for tagging / adding Proposed elements.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
DGSketcher
Legend

@ClaytonHakes If the whole building is being raised then why are you complicating the model by actually moving it. From your description the only variable of importance is what happens below the lowest floor e.g. the foundations. These can be simply managed with the renovation filter e.g. demolish the existing and add new. Things may get a bit more complicated if the drawings are being added to a 3D site model? 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

I would create a reference level which will be the new level and add level dimensions to this string on the 'new' setting.

I would then have two copies of the terrain and by using 'show on current filter only' button I would 'pin' them to the existing and new filter. You can then instead move the terrain in the new situation and have new level dimensions.

After this you can just model new things and demolish old things without having two copies of the entire building.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
ClaytonHakes
Contributor

Thanks y'all,

I think what I'm going to do is nail down a schematic floor plan without actually adjusting the heights (one of my main concerns was having to move things around multiple times and the model getting messy). When I do pursue a more final design, I'll just copy and pin objects to the right renovation filter. I don't think that should be too bad to do once, I was more concerned about spending huge amounts of time switching the heights every day.

JaseBee
Advocate

I'm with Erwin, building doesn't move, the world does! This is how we do all our projects, site is on it's own storey which moves up and down with building level changes, then your documentation (sect/elev) doesn't keep moving up and down the layouts either.

In a recent reno we've done, I created a string property (option set) that has options; "N/A", "Auto", "existing", "remove existing", "removed & retain existing", "reinstall existing" "new". Then another property, reads the option and creates some autotext to use in a label or schedule (auto is the default setting so all new elements just display their set reno status).

Helps keep track of what's happening to objects to greater detail, and you can add as many options as you like. Not perfect, but have found it useful.

AC 24 5004 AUS
iMac OSX (10.13.6) 4.2ghz i7
8gb ram/8gb vram