Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Vectorworks 2016

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have never used Vectorworks and have not been interested in it, but I just looked at some of the new features for Vectorworks 2016 and I'm like - Dang - I wish we could do that. Is VW actually comparable to ArchiCad?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I used VW 2012 before I started using AC, it does seem to have improved alot, since then, (it is now 64bit), but alot of the features they have introduced since 2102 seem to be very gimicky!
I always found it to be lacking in basic architectural drawing features, no skylights, window & doors cannot be stretched to size in plan view, 3d was wireframe by default, no printing in grayscale...

I only used it because the company I worked for had it, but when I left to set up my own practise I bought Archicad (I had had some experience with it)

The biggest downside with VW was the crashing, between 5 & 10 crashes a day was not uncommon, we nicknamed it Vectorcrash!
But other than that it was really good.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Vectorworks is not a bad product and it has been improving steadily over the last several years.
However, I still think ARCHICAD is ahead of it.
Just consider several of the new features for 2016:
- Project Sharing - a catch-up feature to be able to do teamworking (I have not yet investigated how thorough the implementation of it is yet, or if it is comparable to BIM Server).
- Energos - a catch-up feature - we had Energy Evaluation for years.
- Composite Roofs: 2 month ago Vectorworks could not do Composite Roofs, now they can.
- Linked Markers: now they can link multiple markers to individual viewports (we had that for many years)
- Rendering enhancements: all their enhancements we already had them implemented in our CineRender engine since AC18 (VW also uses the CineRender Engine)

I could also continue with a lot of other features. But of course Vectorworks also has areas where it is strong, for example 2D drawing, lines, fills, 2D representations quality. Also, their new built-in Visual Scripting solution called Marionette looks compelling, again, have not yet investigated how fully it is implemented.

But overall my opinion is that ARCHICAD is much closer to being a very mature, full-fledged, robust application that support the full architectural workflow of its users.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
outpostarc wrote:
I have never used Vectorworks and have not been interested in it, but I just looked at some of the new features for Vectorworks 2016 and I'm like - Dang - I wish we could do that. Is VW actually comparable to ArchiCad?
Vectorworks Architect 2016 is certainly an impressive program with many features that make it look like ArchiCAD has a lot of catching up to do.

https://youtu.be/rm3_KrNoilI

https://youtu.be/8V6l7zqUG7E

Vectorworks and ArchiCAD are both trying to produce the same kind of program. Why Nemetschek wants to support such similar programs (Vectorworks, ArchiCAD, Allplan) I don't know. I suppose it is for the same reason that GM makes Chevrolet and GMC products. Makes no sense to me, but it must to somebody.

I don't know enough about how to use Vectorworks to make valid comparisons between it and ArchiCAD, but from what I have been able to do with the Vectorworks Demo I think it has taken the lead several ways.

However, even if it is a better program than ArchiCAD today in some ways, it may not be tomorrow. AutoCAD Architecture 2016 and that other program that starts with an R, are also very good programs. But none of them are as simple and pleasant to work with as ArchiCAD.

Not everyone can make the sound they want on the same make and model of instrument. The instrument must facilitate the unique qualities and training of the musician to be a good match.

ArchiCAD is a unique instrument and a perfect match for me. It gives me the ability to produce something unique, something I can not do with any other program.

I could do with a few less bugs, but I am not so sure that anysimilar program is as bug free as ArchiCAD.

Some ArchiCAD users may have never encountered a bug or a crash because of how they are using ArchiCAD. I don't know. I seem to find a lot of them.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am sure it makes sense to Revit " Divide and conquer"
DesignEngineerBIM wrote:
I am sure it makes sense to Revit " Divide and conquer"
Yes. That is a disturbing observation.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

laszlonagy wrote:
Vectorworks is not a bad product and it has been improving steadily over the last several years.
However, I still think ARCHICAD is ahead of it.
Just consider several of the new features for 2016:
- Project Sharing - a catch-up feature to be able to do teamworking (I have not yet investigated how thorough the implementation of it is yet, or if it is comparable to BIM Server).
http://planet.vectorworks.net/2015/12/tech-roundup-december-2015/

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, I have seen those clips. It is about the same kind of solution as the original Teamwork of ARCHICAD, which came out in 1997. The whole thing is based on reservation of layers, it is not possible to reserve individual elements. Also, its User Access Right system is much more simplistic.
Also, there is no integrated messaging in it.
Of course, for a Vectorworks user it is a big leap forward over what they had before.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27