Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Vectorworks to Archicad IFC file is empty

Anonymous
Not applicable
I work for a firm that uses ArchiCAD 14 (Mac) and we are collaborating with a firm that uses Vectorworks (Mac). Through some basic online research, it seemed that the best way to transfer files between programs was to save as an IFC file. We have tried that on both sides (saving an ArchiCAD file to IFC, and saving a Vectorworks file to IFC) and in both cases the other program is either unable to open the file, or the file is empty once it is opened. Any thoughts?

Just as further background, we have successfully been able to bring files from both programs into Sketchup, but then not able to go back the other way. We can use Sketchup as a middle ground if need be, but it would be better to not have to. Alternate question, is the Sketup/Google Add-on for ArchiCAD only available for Mac from version 15 and higher? Seems that way from looking online.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Even though nobody answered, I thought I would write the answer I eventually figured out for anyone reading this in the future.

The IFC file type was a failure, but 3DS worked when I installed the ArchiCAD add-on called 3DS In. Here is a link for the ArchiCAD 14 version:

http://3dstudio-in-int.software.informer.com/14.0/

With the 3DS file type, I was able to go between Vectorworks, ArchiCAD and Rhino. Very useful.

Aloha
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much for posting this. I have been receiving unusable files from Vectorworks collaborators for a while, and I had given up. I will try the add-on and hope. Thank you again
LaurelSwan wrote:
Even though nobody answered, I thought I would write the answer I eventually figured out for anyone reading this in the future.

The IFC file type was a failure, but 3DS worked when I installed the ArchiCAD add-on called 3DS In.

With the 3DS file type, I was able to go between Vectorworks, ArchiCAD and Rhino. Very useful.

Aloha 🙂
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Hi All,
I've tried this Vectorworks to ArchiCAD trough IFC files, and it works well (even with Revit).

Keep an eye on the Model View Definition used (Coordination view is geometrically speaking very reliable -previously called BREP)

Files must have Story heights (AC) the same as Layer heights (VW), this is not absolutely necessary, but helps.

If in trouble, always do a quality check on the exported IFC file with a viewer like Solibri or BIMsight, this will help you to check if the problem is in the export or import portion of the process.

Hope it helps
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab