Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Which zone is the related zone when zones are overlapping?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,
I need to use related zone for all 3D-elements in my model. A large contractor is working on a new way to plan their production and they create "productions zones". Basically the contractor creates a pdf or dwg where they have marked the plan view of the "volumes" in which they want to calculate quantities in Solibri. Then we create zones for these volumes and create a custom property that reads "Related zone" so that every 3D-element in the IFC has this property.
However the model is already swamped with our room zones, apartment zones and gross area zones. When I add another category releated zone doesn't work.

Firstly. Is related the zone the first or the last zone created if they are overlapping? Or some other mystical random rule? I tried to search for info about this to no avail.

Secondly. If anyone has a suggestion for an alterantive solution I'd be happy. My best bet so far is to export an IFC without zones to .mod and then do the contractor zoning in another model hotlinking the .mod. This WO however makes me want to cry loudly.

On top of this I've ran out of coffee.

/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
2 REPLIES 2
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
Hi,
I need to use related zone for all 3D-elements in my model. A large contractor is working on a new way to plan their production and they create "productions zones". Basically the contractor creates a pdf or dwg where they have marked the plan view of the "volumes" in which they want to calculate quantities in Solibri. Then we create zones for these volumes and create a custom property that reads "Related zone" so that every 3D-element in the IFC has this property.
However the model is already swamped with our room zones, apartment zones and gross area zones. When I add another category releated zone doesn't work.

Firstly. Is related the zone the first or the last zone created if they are overlapping? Or some other mystical random rule? I tried to search for info about this to no avail.

Secondly. If anyone has a suggestion for an alterantive solution I'd be happy. My best bet so far is to export an IFC without zones to .mod and then do the contractor zoning in another model hotlinking the .mod. This WO however makes me want to cry loudly.

On top of this I've ran out of coffee.

/Mats
Half baked edit: I tested without overlapping zones and the related zone for an element seems to be the first zone modeled around any node of the element no matter how much or how little an element is within that very zone.
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
DGSketcher
Legend
Not sure if this would work but an element needs to connect with a zone in 3D to be related, so if you can position all other zones clear of the element e.g. zero thickness then hopefully the element can't relate to that zone. It probably means you can't swap related zones which may be your objective?

Would an IFC property tag be easier to manage e.g. select all elements within marquee and tag as Production Zone #?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)