BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Why can't we export to .max?!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I use 3DSMAX for rendering.
I wonder why we still can't export directly to .max file-format from AC, since there is already version 5 for this application?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
*.max file format is closed format, and if discreet will not write exporter there will be no exporter. Is like with *.pln file format. No one knows what is inside. But export trough *.3ds is very well supported in 3dsmax trough imports script written by Marc Lorenc. http://plugins.angstraum.at/archicad_wiz/index.htm For Archicad users working with 3dsmax it is a must.
stefan
Expert
There is not a single program on the planet that can read or write *.max files, except for 3ds max, Autodesk VIZ and (to a certain extent) VIZ Render.

Polytrans and others need max installed to be able to use it in their conversions.

A few of the basic features can be read by tools like Deep Exploration, but not the real format.

The 3ds max file format is not a straightforward format. It is more like a script and very, very dependent on the version of 3ds max/VIZ, the installed plugins etc...

(replace n with any version number of max bigger then 1)

max (<= n-1) can't read max n files
max n can't write max (<= n-1) files

So I don't ever expect ArchiCAD to be able to write them.

What could possibly work is writing an ArchiCAD Exporter that writes a format that is more suitable then *.3ds or *.obj or *.wrl and then a MAX Importer that can read it back.

So basically, yes it would be convenient, but it won't happen, ever.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, guys!
Didn't kwon it was so difficult. We'll stick to the old .3ds then...
Learn and get certified!