Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Window Schedules "double letter" how to sort to the end?

rob2218
Enthusiast
how do I get the 'double lettered' window tags to show up at the END of the list schedule?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
So, here's the solution for your specific case:

Open Property Manager and create a new property for elements of type Opening by clicking the "+" sign as shown below. I've called it ID_Length, but whatever. Very simple formula. After you click Expression, you can pull in the Element ID field name and from the list of available text expressions, find the LEN("text") function ... resulting in LEN(Element ID). Finally, make the property available to all Windows. (Maybe you want this with Doors too?)

In the schedule itself, you can now find the dynamic, calculated property that you just created (ID_Length) and add it to the schedule just prior to the ID field in the schedule. Sort ascending by that first... then the ID. Finally when you're happy with the result, shrink the column size for the Length field so that it doesn't display in the schedule.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Barry Kelly
Try adding a space or underscore character (or maybe some other character) in front of the single letter.

It is the same with numbers
1,2,3,...9,10,11 needs to be 01,02,03,...09,10,11

Archicad simply orders based on the first character.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks Barry,
will give that a shot.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
ok Barry, I've tried to add a "period", a "space" an "aesterick" and nothing seems to push the double letters to the back. I'm stumped.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Karl Ottenstein
rob2218 wrote:
ok Barry, I've tried to add a "period", a "space" an "aesterick" and nothing seems to push the double letters to the back. I'm stumped.
Just tested and a period or underscore (but not a space) in front of the single letters keeps them at the top, pushing the double letters to the bottom. Unfortunately, you have to look at the period or underscore in the schedule and any labels that contain the ID.

The other old, tried and true method is potentially error prone due to data entry error and changes and relies on manually entering a sorting code in an extra field of the library part. You use that sort code, perhaps combined with the ID, to sort the schedule, but change the column width so it doesn't show.

For your particular case ... single vs double (and maybe triple etc) letters ... the relatively new Property Expressions are the best solution. You get your cake (the ID's look the way you want everywhere with no funny extra symbols) and get to eat it too (the sorting is your way).

Will start a fresh post for the details - but the idea is you create a new property for openings - and the value of that property is the length, in characters, of the ID string: 1 for "A", 2 for "BB". Then, your schedule includes THAT new property as the first sort, and the ID is the second sort. Thus, all 1 character IDs will be grouped first, then 2 character IDs, etc.

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
So, here's the solution for your specific case:

Open Property Manager and create a new property for elements of type Opening by clicking the "+" sign as shown below. I've called it ID_Length, but whatever. Very simple formula. After you click Expression, you can pull in the Element ID field name and from the list of available text expressions, find the LEN("text") function ... resulting in LEN(Element ID). Finally, make the property available to all Windows. (Maybe you want this with Doors too?)

In the schedule itself, you can now find the dynamic, calculated property that you just created (ID_Length) and add it to the schedule just prior to the ID field in the schedule. Sort ascending by that first... then the ID. Finally when you're happy with the result, shrink the column size for the Length field so that it doesn't display in the schedule.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Just to add one thought to Karl's solution:
If you create this Schedule in a way that the "ID_Length" field is the first, then it will be at the left side (or top ) of the generated schedule.
Then, you can save a View of it and place that on a Layout as a Drawing.
Then, you can adjust the frame of the Drawing so the Schedule Column/Row showing the "ID_Length" field does not show.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rob2218
Enthusiast
So...here's as far as I got?
I'm not sure how to go any further than here......
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
Seems the "ID_Length" parameter is greyed out in my ability to add any numbers inside that field? I'm not sure what did wrong.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
here's where I'm getting stuck. Beyond this point...whenever I try to type LEN or anything...I get some sort of syntax or formula error.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23