Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

XYZ file / .txt file - terrain MODELLING

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone used the Command :
- file --> interoperability -->PLACE MESH FROM SURVEYORS DATA

I have the relevant XYZ file with all data in the file.

However, for some reason this data is not givng me / creating a 3D terrain. Any ideas why not ?

I only have 15 points across an entire site. I have data for all 4 corner plots and points on the terrain. Whay do i not see a terrain when these XYZ files are opened in AC ?

sceenshot of levels taken. pdf image attached.

I have the dwg and the XYZ and .txt data file.

Thanks to let me know why the mesh terrain is not being created when I open the data files.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
To add more info for all - i have received x2 data files.
I can therefore place x2 .txt or xyz files.
anyone know if all info should be merged in to one file ?

Seems one of the files does open - see screenshot.
But its giving a ridiculously high contour which I cant change.

The second file doesn't show up in 3D. by the way.
Anonymous
Not applicable
HERES THE SAME X2 .TXT FILES IN PLAN VIEW.
ONLY ONE IS SHOWING IN 3D.
Tim Ball
Expert
The import is very fussy about the format.
Ideally you want a simple 3 column list of x.y.z but with no headers
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
runxel
Legend
Just as Tim said. You have to be careful about the actual content of the XYZ file.
Open it with your favor flavour editor and look for these things:
1) Only numerical input! Every line with non-numeric things in it will be automatically counted as a comment.
2) Only three columns! X Y Z, duh!
3) Consistent seperator use! Every line needs the same seperator (semicolon, space, or tab. Commas and periods work, too, but should be avoided because they are easily mistaken for decimal sperator)
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tim wrote:
The import is very fussy about the format.
Ideally you want a simple 3 column list of x.y.z but with no headers
------------------------
Tim and runxel - i'll reply here as the thread is most relevant rather opening a new one.

--> Please see attahced the file from way back - as the project is being revisited.
--> I have a .CSV file which i have received from the surveyor and have put this in to a .txt file. (see attached screen shot) I am in the process of deleting the 4th column. This should work right when brought in to AC?

do i need to change anything ?
the XYZ data in on the same line seperated by a commar and to 3 decimal points each - there is also a full stop in each data level. Thanks in advance.

I ask you before i know whether need to go back to the surveyor and ask him to do anything. Im assumingif i delete the 4th column of data then that should work and i wont need to bothther the surveyor for a 3rd time.

He has sent the data in an excel file fyi as shown but all info is in x1 column.

regards
atfonit