Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Zone Areas: Measured vs. Calculated

TracyGA
Contributor
Can someone please explain the difference between Measured vs. Calculated areas? From what I can find the calculated areas allow for reductions that I can define. However, when I turn off any reductions the numbers still come out different and oddly the calculated value is a higher value. Considering this is supposed to include reductions it seems to me that this value should always be equal to or lower than the measured value. I have tried a variety of tests to figure out what is going here but I have not been able to figure out anything and fear that my scheduled areas in previous projects may have been incorrect. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Check the "Zone Area Calculation Panel" portion of this page:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-21/archicad-21-reference-guide/user-interface-refe...

It is toward the end of the page. It explains the various fields in that panel.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
TracyGA
Contributor
Thank you for the response. I had already done some research on this and found the same information though. Even after reading it all again, I still cannot understand how it would be possible to get a higher number for the Calculated Area than what I am getting for the Measured Area. In the project that I am working on this is what is happening. I have all of the reductions turned off so if I'm understanding everything correctly, there should be no differences in the first place. However, all of the zones from the home show that either the values are equal or the Calculated value is more. I just don't understand how this is possible. Since it is my job in the office not only to produce drawings but also to design and build our office template file, I just want to make sure that I understand how it works and eliminate any potential problem areas for the future. I'd had to give me clients incorrect area take-offs.
Tracy,
Have you updated the zone, yet? And maybe you could send a screen shot of this:
zone calc.jpg
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
TracyGA
Contributor
I think I figured out what the problem is, but I am a little surprised and don't really understand why this is a problem. In my model, I have the top of the zones set to extend to the top of wall elevation. I also have a complex profile wall going around the outsides of my exterior walls to make the exterior soffit and fascia. When I click on the zone it shows two black dots that extend outside of the zone area and it seems that these dots create the additional areas in question. I don't quite understand why the zone is extending itself out to the boundary of the soffit/fascia, but if I lower the top of zone to below this profile, then areas come out to be equal.
TracyGA
Contributor
Black Points showing the (unwanted) extension of the zone.
TracyGA
Contributor
Zone Settings
Zone Settings.jpeg
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
TracyGA,

In the Wall Settings Dialog, there is a "Relation to Zones" field. You can set that field to the "No Effect On Zones" value for those Soffits and Fascias and hopefully in that case they will not influence how the Zone is generated even it is higher. With this option the Zone will simply ignore those Walls when trying to figure out where the boundaries of its 3D body are located.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello All,

I posted an answer to a similar problem in this Topic. Maybe it will help you too.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit