Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Zone Volume Calculation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I've a query on Zones.
You can set various parameters for each zone : name, floor type, area etc but if you want to calculate the volume of a 3d zone it calculates on the basis of a 2.7m ceiling height by default whatever ceiling height you've specified. This leads to silly results like :
Area 36m2
Ceiling Height 3.2m
Volume 97.2m3 (which logically should be 115.2m3)

Does anyone know if the ceiling height calculator can be changed ?

Thanks
Rob
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
The zone does not "read" the ceiling - you have to set the zone height manually. If the ceiling is not flat, you have to use a solid element operation (or, less dynamic - trim zone command) to shape the top of the zone.

But, do note that a zone stamp does not recompute its values unless it is updated...however Element Info will show the current value. Note the screenshot attached and the volume in the zone stamp vs the Element Info palette.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Update Zones palette shot attached. Doing a rebuild and regenerate also updates the volume seen in the stamp (cmd-option-shift-R, if defined in your WE - probably ctrl-alt-shift-R on Windows).

Karl
Update Zone.png
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl.
Seems I had set the heights manually OK but had not initiated the update. Now its all OK.
I'll check out the solid element operation and look for the trim zone command because that will be appropriate for some zones.
Thanks again
Rob
Karl Ottenstein
Rob wrote:
Thanks Karl.
Seems I had set the heights manually OK but had not initiated the update. Now its all OK.
I'll check out the solid element operation and look for the trim zone command because that will be appropriate for some zones.
Thanks again
Rob
You're welcome ... and note that zones normally do not show in the 3D window. You have to go to Elements to Show in 3D (I think that's what it is called) and check the box for zones. Then you can see them both for trimming in 3D and to verify that they are set properly, perhaps by bold-marqueeing your building to verify that the zones fill all of the room volumes.

Cheers,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again.
I've got that working successfully too and I'm now looking to generate the information as Zone Lists - any tips on formatting etc ?
Rob