Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Zones on Zones

Anonymous
Not applicable
Before I get carried away on something that may cause me a bigger
problem. I was hoping someone could answer a question for me.

So here goes:

Are there any known issues with puting zones on top of zones?

For instance, I plan to create:

1. zones to delieneate and name each room from the interior edge of
walls

2. an overall zone by floor that will reprent the entire perimeter and
all porchs and patios based on the exterior of the walls(ie framing square feet)

3. zones that correspond to my HVAC system so I can show which unit
serves which area in a house
2 REPLIES 2
Djordje
Ace
vincon2 wrote:
Are there any known issues with puting zones on top of zones?
As long as you create a system for the zones (e.g. separate layers) it should not be problematic at all.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
If the zones are only for extracting area and volume information, then I don't see a problem, as Djordje says.

But, if you plan on creating schedules that indicate what zones objects are in (furnishing schedule), or into which zones doors swing, etc. ... then you will have a bit of a mess.

ArchiCAD keeps track of the multiplicity of zones, and using SQL or ODBC, you can extract and display the complete list of overlapping zones that an object resides in.

BUT, within ArchiCAD itself - the Interactive Scheduler for instance - there is only one zone field. It is a game of roulette which zone will be reported when there are multiples from what I know a the moment.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB