Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ac 15 and revit 2011

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all I really like archicad but every time see some Image of revit 2011 ask my self if that time to move to revit I hope that not come ever .but ac 14 shock me I hope AC 15 have free model ,spilt face ,good sun study ,good stair maker,new interface,pattern ,sweep,smooth roof , and more.
every time I hear some move to revit and never hear some one move form revit to AC I hope hear that
thank you.

curtsysbyface.png
91 REPLIES 91
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chadwick wrote:
Matthew wrote:
I remember when OCR software was touting 97% accuracy as a good thing but that means that 3 out of 100 characters are wrong. That would be about 9 mistakes just in this post. If these errors are not easily discovered and fixed then the functions quickly become more trouble than they are worth.
This is exactly how I feel about IFCs right now - I seriously wish these were more reliable
I know what you mean. Fortunately the problems are pretty consistent. I haven't had any random mysterious geometry issues. Just predictable (once identified) limitations in each program.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hi Matthew

I'd be interested to get your take in the consistent problems experienced with IFCs, if you've got time to put a quick list together?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Hi Matthew

I'd be interested to get your take in the consistent problems experienced with IFCs, if you've got time to put a quick list together?

Cheers,
Link.
Time... Yes I remember having some to spare once. I think I spent it playing Marathon into the wee hours.

I'll see what I can do, but please don't anyone hold their breath waiting for it.

In the meantime and very briefly:

1. Simple wall and floor/slab geometries convert very well.
2. Complex geometries are converted to BREPs (boundary representations) which seem to be very accurate as far as they go, but are not editable parametric parts.
3. Beams and columns can translate as fully functional parts though I have had to use a text editor on the intervening IFC file to tweak the process at times. The new IFC add-ins for Revit from Grafisoft help quite a bit but I have not had time to test them thoroughly.
4. The MEP add-ins to Revit and AutoCAD MEP seem to work very well. As I recall it is not so good the other way (ArchiCAD to Revit/AutoCAD though).
5. Materials can be made to translate well but require setup in the import/export templates due to differences in the way AC and Revit think about materials.
6. Doors and windows convert well but to get fully functional deliverable models I have had to run through them with search/replace techniques.
7. Tekla and Solibri are REALLY good at IFC stuff.
8. Anyone who hasn't checked out BIMsight is missing some fun.

So far most of what I've learned has been for the purpose of getting a particular result, so it's hardly a thorough investigation.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just give us some better modelling options, bidirectional associativity and multiple view select and edit options please Graphisoft. End of story.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Back to the fray!

Krippahl has asked for an 'unbiased' comparison. I am yet to see this anywhere!

As a Graphisoft support tech heard when she asked me will I ever stop comparing Revit to ArchiCAD.... Um, that would require forgetting several years of learning.

I use both packages on a regular basis. I am constantly learning new functionality in both packages. I am considered a Revit master by many yet continue to discover intricacies that astound me. ArchiCAD still contains more mystery due to my limited, yet growing experience.

ArchiCAD is much quicker at generating 2D Architectural Documentation.
My most accounts the 'Shell Modelling tool' in AC15 will stop the requirement for AC users to employ Sketchup and similar for complex organic structures. The introduction of the 'Renovation' functionality will also start to fill a gap that Revit has offered for many years now.

Revit is much smoother when dealing with change (Revit is shortened REVise InsTantly). Learning how Revits change engine works is no more or less a behavioural study than with any complex software package. With the addition of 2012's 'Parts & Assemblies' functionality, Revit is now leading with regards to Constructibility, which is why we lean more heavily on Revit.

To bad mouth either product shows little more than ignorance. Persistent bad mouthing suggests fear. An interesting point I have noticed is that the ArchiCAD forums have a lot of Anti-Revit posts, whereas the Revit forums focus more on getting the most out of Revit.

Both tools have their pros and cons. Apples/PC/Linux, Betamax or VHS?

Matthew Lohden:- If you are to set up a blog, can I help be the balance? I think it would be a valuable resource for those attempting to fathom the differences and make informed decisions!

2.673c
Anonymous
Not applicable
An interesting point I have noticed is that the ArchiCAD forums have a lot of Anti-Revit posts, whereas the Revit forums focus more on getting the most out of Revit.

LOL I'll take the bait.............so why do you think that is?
And why do you bring that up?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don wrote:
LOL I'll take the bait.............so why do you think that is?
And why do you bring that up?
I thought it might make some peeps think a bit, then focus on improving their workflows instead of whingeing about a software package that is clearly misunderstood!

HarryM, You can add leader line/s to note text (since (at least) 9.1), and have them boxed (2011).
Anonymous
Not applicable
There was someone who used to post here quite a bit and was a heavy Revit user. Does anyone recall his name?
Stress Co_
Advisor
Don wrote:
There was someone who used to post here quite a bit and was a heavy Revit user. Does anyone recall his name?
Wes Macaulay?
aka: metanoia
He's the AUGI Revit Architecture Wishlist Manager.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress wrote:
Don wrote:
Wes Macaulay?
aka: metanoia
He's the AUGI Revit Architecture Wishlist Manager.
Yes!

Wes used to post here a lot and I always enjoyed reading his observations about BIM and also Revit.