Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ac 15 and revit 2011

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all I really like archicad but every time see some Image of revit 2011 ask my self if that time to move to revit I hope that not come ever .but ac 14 shock me I hope AC 15 have free model ,spilt face ,good sun study ,good stair maker,new interface,pattern ,sweep,smooth roof , and more.
every time I hear some move to revit and never hear some one move form revit to AC I hope hear that
thank you.

curtsysbyface.png
91 REPLIES 91
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since we have downsized, just several partner architects are the ones working on construction documents at this point. We are doing this from different locations and are absolutely thrilled at how well teamwork is working. We do like the flexibility of ArchiCad.

We wish there were more manufacturers library parts available for us to use. If we could use the manufacturers revit family objects in our projects that would be very nice.
Ransom Ratcliff
Enthusiast
I have been holding this back for a long time now, in deference to the people who did the hard work of scientifically testing and documenting that which has been so obscured by the Autodesk cloud.

It has now been about a year since the research for this report on Revit hardware requirements, was completed. (A very long time in the world of computer hardware and budgeting.) Now that its shock value has worn off and we have come to accept it as corroboration of our own independent conclusions, I feel that that it is now fair share it as more evidence of the elephant in the room.

Key points:
1. More RAM reduces crashing substantially
2. More RAM reduces wait time substantially
3. Improvement in performance was a curve, most dramatic when RAM was increased beyond 20 GB and much less so with RAM increased from 8 to 16 GB.
4. Other aspects of a well rounded system were important too.
Ransom Ratcliff
RATCLIFF CONSULTING LLC
Charrette Venture Group
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 26
Autodesk Certified Professional in Revit
macOS + Windows
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good heavens - a 2 GB project is very large - 500 MB (compacted central file) would be considered a large project. Kudos to David for doing the research though. Revit has been very stable for us - I think I crashed Revit once last month, and we typically have 8 GB of RAM.
Anonymous
Not applicable
outpostarc wrote:
Since we have downsized, just several partner architects are the ones working on construction documents at this point. We are doing this from different locations and are absolutely thrilled at how well teamwork is working. We do like the flexibility of ArchiCad.

We wish there were more manufacturers library parts available for us to use. If we could use the manufacturers revit family objects in our projects that would be very nice.
Since Adopting version 16 it is almost as easy to make a library part that we want as opposed to downloading a part from a manufacturer that is either too detailed or not detailed enough etc. We have not used much on the BIM components portal yet but can see that becoming something that we will use. (objects made by architects).

I would like to see where we could deform a morph while recording the actions, save as a library part and have them as editable in 2d/3d the same as scripted parts are now.
JaredBanks
Mentor
All those numbers are very... interesting. Great to see numbers like this. I'd love to see a comparable study done for a large project in ArchiCAD.

And for the Revit study to be done on a typical large file. But that's all just wishful thinking. Indeed. Thank you David for doing the research!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
I love these Archicad vs Revit debates and pleased there is some rational comments in regards to pro’s and con’s. When larger firms adopt BIM (even if it’s to initially produce conventional 2D Documentation from the model) the decision is often not in the hands of the end user but made at board level. There is a perception that BIM=Revit which is of course not true. The director of a firm that I once worked said “we have to get on this BIM bandwagon” – they had 4 Archicad seats and a couple of really good operators! So now they are fully Revit and the Archicad guys hate it but they want a stable job. I have used Archicad since 4.5 seriously until v12 and Revit from v2010 until v2012.

I have modelled and worked large projects on both platforms recently returning to Archicad v15 on a 1.5GB project – BIM server (Teamwork 2) works extremely well over 2 continents. Revit does not. Simple. The only way to Workshare in Revit is by Syncback and preferably work in different time zones. My first BIM project in Revit was a nightmare but that was 2010 on 32bit PCs. It performs much better now but needs much more RAM than Archicad.

Revit does have good points such as the active element-dimension relationship, family creation (although can still be very complex but there is no code) revision control, schedules etc but the Workshare sucks unless the model sits on a shared LAN.
Also Revit is rarely used, in my experience, by the design architect(s) where as Archicad is. Which is a shame as the Concept Modelling environment in Revit is very powerful- the new Morph tool in v16 looks very good but is no match in this regard. The Revit ‘connectedness is also frustrating especially as the model gets more complex. Copying and pasting from side Option projects works very well in Archicad- not so in Rvt. There are options in Rvt but these are limited and work better stand alone options such as Entry Canopies or rood shapes etc
But....
all my private work is now in Archicad v15 simply because I prefer its design ‘looseness’ and graphic freedom.
Rakela Raul
Participant
thx Harry x your comments !!
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Erika Epstein
Booster
HarryM wrote:
Hi
There is a perception that BIM=Revit which is of course not true.
Harry, thanks for your assessment and comparison of the pros and cons of each program.

Ransom, thank you for sharing the report. At some local BIM meetings, the Revit users cite the huge file sizes as a significant problem and worse when they import a consultant's model.

As for BIM=Revit, that is part of Autodesk's marketing strategy. I hear them start their presentations by asking the crowd 'What is BIM?' and the crowd shouts back 'REVIT'
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
JaredBanks
Mentor
Erika wrote:
As for BIM=Revit, that is part of Autodesk's marketing strategy. I hear them start their presentations by asking the crowd 'What is BIM?' and the crowd shouts back 'REVIT'
Shameful.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
The cult-like behaviour you see at Autodesk is not driven by product managers, or from the top. Carl Bass is self-effacing and practical with a sense of humour; the developers are good people who want to give users the tools they need. Where I saw the weirdest behaviour was from people in Autodesk who were in sales. They're the ones who push the resellers to sell more software so they get their bonuses

Maybe ArchiCAD needs a better bonus structure for its sales personnel so AC can compete better with Revit in the north american market!