BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ac 15 and revit 2011

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all I really like archicad but every time see some Image of revit 2011 ask my self if that time to move to revit I hope that not come ever .but ac 14 shock me I hope AC 15 have free model ,spilt face ,good sun study ,good stair maker,new interface,pattern ,sweep,smooth roof , and more.
every time I hear some move to revit and never hear some one move form revit to AC I hope hear that
thank you.

curtsysbyface.png
91 REPLIES 91
Anonymous
Not applicable
i think AC 15 is a revolution that make me stop for time in moving into revit add to its easy interface in archicad that revit is not from my experiment for both, also adding to it that archicad appeared before revit and has experience as i think also archicad when you master it you are getting lazy to learn another sophisticated programme
what i wish that Graphisoft listen to their customers advices which will lead to right track
i think they just need to add tab write what do you think about programme or your feedback
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Customer Experience Improvement built into 15

http://www.archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD15#Customer_Experience_Improvement_Program

Not exactly what you are looking for, but a step in your direction.
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don wrote:
Yes!

Wes used to post here a lot and I always enjoyed reading his observations about BIM and also Revit.
Aha - thanks Don. Actually I've been looking at this new release and must say AC15 is looking quite awesome.

It's interesting to see the differences and relative strengths and weaknesses of the different platforms, and still want to do a head to head with someone between Revit 2012 and AC15, just to show folks how the two platforms work. I think I had even put an agenda together some time ago so we'd have some points to hit with both platforms. I think that would even be more helpful now with the continued development of both apps...
I'd be happy to step up to the plate Wes. Without the sales cap and loving it.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
We could start with that old bugbear: "draw a wall - 3.76m long at 22.25 degrees. from the horizontal."

Curse you Red Baron.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome! I'll have to have you over to my place some weekend when you're down...

Revit + ArchiCAD + beer + video = priceless
Ransom Ratcliff
Enthusiast
metanoia wrote:
Don wrote:
Yes!

Wes used to post here a lot and I always enjoyed reading his observations about BIM and also Revit.
Aha - thanks Don. Actually I've been looking at this new release and must say AC15 is looking quite awesome.

It's interesting to see the differences and relative strengths and weaknesses of the different platforms, and still want to do a head to head with someone between Revit 2012 and AC15, just to show folks how the two platforms work. I think I had even put an agenda together some time ago so we'd have some points to hit with both platforms. I think that would even be more helpful now with the continued development of both apps...
When comparing sophisticated applications such as Revit and ArchiCAD, one needs to really use them for a few years. I have been using ArchiCAD since 1995 and Revit since 2008. So in the attached PDF, I have roughly outlined some of my impressions of versions of these two that I have had plenty of time to use, Revit 2011 and ArchiCAD 14.
Ransom Ratcliff
RATCLIFF CONSULTING LLC
Charrette Venture Group
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 26
Autodesk Certified Professional in Revit
macOS + Windows
Brett Brown
Advocate
This is not a comparison, it is just a list of some differences Revit has compared to Archicad. Where's the long list of Archicads differences to Revit?

Very biased to say the least.

Your comments on relationships is 99% of the the users choice, either you want them or not. Your conclusion casts light on the validity of all your other comments.

How many addons do you pay for in Archicad to get the job done Ransom?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brett wrote:
Your comments on relationships is 99% of the the users choice, either you want them or not. Your conclusion casts light on the validity of all your other comments.
I'm not sure quite what you mean by this. I find that Revit's auto relationships are quite handy when starting a project but end up becoming more trouble than they are worth as the complexity and detail gets more and more baked in.

I have yet to figure out how to get Revit MEP to do reliable and accurate drain lines. Much of the time it simply refuses to make connections which I know are simple in the field and I have to break the links and fit them up manually. The ArchiCAD MEP automation is not as complete as Revit's but when it fails it at least tries to fit something up that I can then fix manually. And when I have to resort to manual fit ups it is far faster and more accurate in ArchiCAD and if I really want to be fussy I can tweak the manual fittings to link up as continuous runs. Maybe there is a way to do this in Revit also but whenever I let these revert to auto connections they whig out again.

Ransom,

I do agree with Brett that your document is really a list of ArchiCAD advantages rather than a balanced comparison of the two programs. It is a useful list nonetheless, and it misses many of the things I find much better in ArchiCAD (marquee tool, find and select, editing in 3D, etc.), but it would probably be best not to misrepresent it.
Ransom Ratcliff
Enthusiast
I did not set out to write a balanced review of each program and this forum would not be the place for that.

Briefly, this is a list of many of the differences that I sense most people may not know. It is both a long list and an incomplete one. And I admit it is not perfect but I hope it sheds more light where it is needed.

As for the 99% of the constraints Brett is talking about, let me just say a few things in addition to the points I already made in my list:

1. The ratio of automatic constraints to user constraints would be affected by the number of constraints purposefully set by the user.

2. As a team leader and Model Manager on a variety of large Revit projects over the past few years and having attended AU for the last 3 years, I can say that many other Revit experts agree with me that the user should be very frugal about placing constrains in the model. This is in fact a common "Best Practices" in large US firms. Applying constraints is also a common strategy mistake of new users.

3. The automatic constraints and associations, whatever their proportion, can be the devastating to the project budget when they become circular and cannot be undone without deleting well crafted content in the model.

Best regards,

Ransom
Ransom Ratcliff
RATCLIFF CONSULTING LLC
Charrette Venture Group
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 26
Autodesk Certified Professional in Revit
macOS + Windows
Learn and get certified!