Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

archiCAD to Navisworks

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the best process for exporting an archiCAD model for use in Navisworks? There doesn't seem to be a plug-in offered to the archiCAD community on a Mac platform, only Windows 32-bit. I've read a couple posts that an IFC file is the best/only way to transfer files between the two programs though a lot of information is lost. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
You are right there are only native Navis export add-ons for 32bit Windows. (This has been a bit of a pain for me too as I prefer Win7x64 for most stuff, so I still have to keep XP32 around for the time being.)

Native Navis output is best so it may be worth getting Parallels (or VMware Fusion) and a copy of 32bit Windows for the purpose (you can use OEM copies which are available online for less than the full retail versions).

Unfortunately Navis is pretty much Hoover-like when it comes to IFC (unless you like the all-white foam core look) so the next best thing is DWG. This may be acceptable depending on the circumstances. I often use it for limited scope exports. The materials/colors aren't great but aren't that bad either and the layers are preserved.

The upside to DWG is you can set up Publisher sets for output, it works on the Mac side and it's still better than what you can get out of Revit.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
I just installed Navis Freedom and the export plugin.
Well the plug worked in AC13 but could only export .nwc which "Freedom" can't read (only .nwd/.dwf). Did I miss anything somewhere in the installation?
Cheers,
Mats

Edit: Freedom doesn't read nwc and I have to buy Navis. SMC or Bimsight instead then.
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.